Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye glasses

Eye glasses

This week I have had to face one of the realities of getting older. I went to the eye doctor for my check up and was reminded that holding papers/documents at arms length to read them is not normal.

A question for the group. I need a slight prescription for one of my eyes to fix an astigmatism and readers. The doctor suggested I get progressive lenses, but all of the frames were a little too "hip" for me. I asked if they could grind lenses for my Gatorz or if there were other frames similar to them and I got a blank stare from the sales lady there.

These are the sunglasses I wear and what I want the frames to be similar to:

https://www.gatorz.com/collections/m...ucts/newmagnum

I will wear these for work and the reason I need the progressives is so I can go from the MDT to seeing the road.

Suggestions on frames that would be not too "hip" looking would be appreciated. I don't need the lenses to be tinted, I just don't want to look like a hipster.

Those look pretty hipsterish to me...but I'm (probably) totally out of touch.

My wife got a nice pair of Oakley frames a few years ago which I think are nice looking and work well with her progressive lenses. Might be worth a look.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Those look pretty hipsterish to me...but I'm (probably) totally out of touch.
    No, and you are.

Flamingo, they aren't hipster at all. They're...well, they aren't hipster.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Depends on your prescription, but I wouldn't count on it with an astigmatism. I've never had much luck with wrap around frames, they have to use too much prism to compensate for the curvature of the frames and it has always exacerbated my astigmatism.

Costco has a pretty good selection of unhip and unstylish frames and their lab does a pretty good job on lenses.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

My experience with progressives is that a taller lens works better because the correction changes more gradually.

I can't help on that frame style -- I use a simple boring wire frame something like this: https://www.39dollarglasses.com/3015_Gunmetal.html

Rudy Project makes excellent frames, many of which are setup for Rx lenses. I have two pair setup for shooting. http://www.rudyproject.com/prescription.html

The Rx Inserts are nice as I can swap Rx depending upon what I am doing. One Rx for distance (shotgun) and one Rx for pistol shooting.
    Last edited by farscott; 08-25-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    No, and you are.

Flamingo, they aren't hipster at all. They're...well, they aren't hipster.
    Oh well. I thought they were something Bono would wear.

(And I don't wear glasses.)
    Last edited by blues; 08-25-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've always bought my Rx safety and sunglasses from http://www.rx-safety.com

I really like the glasses that have a removable gasket - I use the Wiley X Jake. In any event, check your fav glasses vrame manufacturer listings for local retailers. I was surprised to find local optometrists with a selection of Wiley X, Smith, etc.

It appears Gatorz has an Rx affiliate program.

Site Supporter
    I'm (very) near sighted. That amount of curvature won't work with my prescription. I would ask your Optometrist whether your prescription will result in a lot of distortion in the highly curved portion of the lense.

You mentioned the blank look on the face of the Optician. They have an important job to do taking the necessary measurements (which can be mechanized now) and fitting the glasses to you. Now that you have your prescription; you take take it anywhere. Don't hesitate to go somewhere else that can better answer your questions or instill more confidence.

The blank look was from the salesperson. The doc was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List