Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Beretta 92-variant (non-Brig)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Les (or anyone else), do you have any experience running the Mec-Gar's at full capacity on an extended basis? I'm a longtime user of those mags, but have normally carried them downloaded by a round or two due to concerns about spring life. How well they hold up when fully charged is unknown territory for me.
    I have around twenty five of them that I've been using for the last three years. I always load them to full capacity during use and for carry. I do rotate the carry mags every month or so. Never had an issue.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

4.) Care and Feeding
    I prefer to run the ultra-reliable 14# flat-wire spring on a fluted guide rod (SKU 752FS14). There isn’t a lot of “dip” and it feeds any ammo reliably. The spring life is rated for an amazing 40,000 rounds!
    What do you mean by "dip"? The muzzle bouncing back down after it recoils up?

I've always perceived some sort of "muzzle dip" on my M9A1 that doesn't happen on my 92FS even though both are stock. Always thought it was in my mind for some reason...not sure why it would affect one but not the other.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just remember: the ~400 price difference is ~1500 rounds of factory ammo...

The gun is the least expensive thing in the long run: it is the "consumable" lead that runs up the bill so freak'n high!
    Very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the write up Les. I actually ran almost that exact setup this morning at alpha. Gun shoots just fine.

As for questions about running mags to capacity...that's what I was doing today. In both 18 and 20 round formats. No problems. Except that Limited minor from concealment is not as easy as Gabe makes it look

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    What do you mean by "dip"? The muzzle bouncing back down after it recoils up?

I've always perceived some sort of "muzzle dip" on my M9A1 that doesn't happen on my 92FS even though both are stock. Always thought it was in my mind for some reason...not sure why it would affect one but not the other.
    ^ Yup the bounce "down" after the recoil "up".

If the spring is, well, "too springy", it'll slam it shut with too much force.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Thanks for the write up Les. I actually ran almost that exact setup this morning at alpha. Gun shoots just fine.

As for questions about running mags to capacity...that's what I was doing today. In both 18 and 20 round formats. No problems. Except that Limited minor from concealment is not as easy as Gabe makes it look

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I gotta do that... Just to see how much I suck.

Another data point. I have several factory G 92s and one old 92f w/ the recent conversion. My conversion works just fine. Lot's of guys on the Beretta forum don't like the looks of the new conversion. But I made a few measurements and the max overall width of the wings is actually slightly less for the conversion.

Great post, Les. I'm finding that the Wilson Combat triggerbar really is a force multiplier in terms of both smoothness and mainspring choices; since it allows the hammer to go farther back, you can use a lighter mainspring. In my 92D, I switched from the 16# OEM "D" spring to the 14# Wilson, and I'm quite satisfied with that, but I wouldn't have any undue qualms about going down to the 13# Wilson (for both carry and competition)-anything lighter (such as the 12# Wilson) would likely be for competition only, at least for me.

I also went with the WC round/checkered extended magazine release, which was a bit of a PITA to install-I ended up having to have my gunsmith install it, but I'm very pleased with it.

For grips, I'm using Trausch's, but as they're pretty much unobtanium , I'm recommending the Langdon Tactical grips made by VZ for a thin grip, or Ergo's hard rubber grips for a medium/close to OEM thickness grip.

For the recoil spring, I'm running a Wilson 14# chrome silicon spring, likewise Wilson chrome silicon extractor and trigger return springs. The 14# recoil is more optimized for my Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P or Hornady 135 gr +P Critical Duty cartridges, but seems to work nicely with standard pressure 115 gr ball as well.

Sights are OEM (albeit re-lamped) Trijicons, providing a very good day- and night-sight picture.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-27-2017 at 05:08 PM.

^ Yup the bounce "down" after the recoil "up".

If the spring is, well, "too springy", it'll slam it shut with too much force.
    Thank you! I knew I wasn't imagining things

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Another data point. I have several factory G 92s and one old 92f w/ the recent conversion. My conversion works just fine. Lot's of guys on the Beretta forum don't like the looks of the new conversion. But I made a few measurements and the max overall width of the wings is actually slightly less for the conversion.
    I think it is the "strut" that is a bit... "bulky" vs the G-lever. The old g-lever's wing is what extends the tab/button out over the slide.

I don't mind either.

User Tag List