Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a Beretta 92-variant (non-Brig)

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Cory. It's about time that I change my 92's springs. I'm glad that guys here shoot and tinker with Beretta's. I've had several 92's and currently own one. I'll not be without at least one.

Les,

Is there anything different you would do with a Compact? Thanks

Last edited by Sal Picante; 09-25-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Hit enter too soon...

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    been searching, shopping, and doing some homework on the 92s. With the Langdon M9 getting here soon I'm looking forward to going "all in" with Beretta. Got a few more questions if you could shed some light for me:

What parts do you recommend keeping on hand? I somehow doubt that I'll be breaking the locking block enough to need them on hand, but are there any parts that you do think are important to keep on hand? I have read a few folks mention that they keep a spare trigger return spring because of past issues they've had.
    Sorry - been traveling a lot lately... There really isn't too much that goes wrong one these guns... If you need parts, just get 'em though brownells, etc.

Having a TRS or two is handy. I replace the locking block every season. Having a spare is probably a good idea.

Damage Industries has/had an M9 Parts kit. I think Axis Outdoors is selling it now. For $20.00 get it: https://www.axisoutdoors.us/products...ment-parts-kit

Are there any parts or pieces that you replace at a regular interval? With a 40,000 round service life, I'm doubting you ever need to replace the recoil spring. Then again, maybe a high round count shooter like you does. I'm just wondering if every X number of rounds (or time) you change magazine springs, TRS, or anything else.
    As mentioned, I do replace the locking block - needed or not - after a season on both guns. Cheap insurance. I just drop 'em in, but I might ask Jared or Ernest how to "fit them" just for knowledge sake. Shrugs... Pistols seem to shoot ok and keep running.

I've got to experiment more with converting the match guns to the 14# flat spring (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....or-Competition) the life-span alone seems worth it...

Do you have a preference on radius or non radius back strap? I've held a radius with ultra thins, and a non radius with regular grips. I really liked the radius/ultra combo. I'm wondering if that was because of the grips or the backstrap. The Langdon M9 will have the non-radius/ultra and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Do you know of any companies that will radius cut an M9 frame? I know Allegany won't.

Hopefully over the next few years I'll be able to put together a carry gun, practice gun, comp gun, and home gun that are all pretty similar 92's. But it's going to take me awhile to get there.
    -Cory
    I'm kinda dumb and don't notice that at all... I've got big hands. I don't know any companies that cut a radius in the frame...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    The recoil spring does not have a 40,000 round service life. Not sure where you got that info. It's about every 5,000. Same with the TRS. Locking block every 20K, firing pin every 10K, extractor spring every 10K, hammer spring every 20K.
    Yup - that is for maintenance cycles... TRS you can probably do every 10k.

Extractor spring is actually good for a long time. (I haven't replaced now yet...)

16# and up hammer springs don't really "wear out" as much as they "wear in" - if the gun is going bang, I'll keep that in there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Les,

I just don't shoot my centurions or compacts enough to know...

I think WC has a Flat spring kit for the centurion.

I'm guessing the locking block and TRS would be about the same for those guns too if you're shooting them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Les,

@GJM might know a bit more here since I think he shoots his centurions more than I do...

So....I ordered the recoil guide and 14 pound flat wire kits for both my Langdon M9 and the CenTac. Do you run the shok buff with your set ups? Thanks in advance.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Seems we do a lot of similar things.
    1.D spring and a buff job on all internals. I've gotten real good on getting a smooth 8lbs DA and crisp 4.5lb SA.

2.G levers. I'm halfway tempted to go back to the Wilson low pro single side lever though.

3. Sights. Right now they both have Wilson U notch sights. The vertec slide has .300 rear with the Wilson tritium front sight. Perfect combo. The compact has the .270 rear and a gold bead that I installed. It's holding so far. I hope I don't loose it. The .270 is a c hair short. I tried the .310 last night and was about 8" to high so I'm back to the .270. Anyone want to trade my .310 for your .280? Lol

4. Mag release. Both have Wilsons. I'm not sure which I like more.

5. Grips. Ultra thin Wilson grips are just perfect.

6. The compact has a flatwire recoil spring because I was going through standard recoil spings in 2-3k rounds.

7. Metal triggers. I just think the smoothness feels better. There's no practical reason over the polymer coated one. The FS has a short trigger right now but it's getting traded for a standard metal one. It pinches my finger against the frame.

Attachment 22053Attachment 22054
    Attachment 22055
    Attachment 22056
    Attachment 22057
    Attachment 22058

Last edited by 03RN; 12-02-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    So....I ordered the recoil guide and 14 pound flat wire kits for both my Langdon M9 and the CenTac. Do you run the shok buff with your set ups? Thanks in advance.
    I'm currently using the set up in my training gun and I leave out the shok buff.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List