Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Here is a 124 grain Gold Dot against a Canadian Wolf tooth for a size comparison.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s not just out West. This photo was taken 100mi SW of Chicago by a friend who works for the DNR. Animal had been spotted several times over a period of weeks in the undeveloped areas that flank the Illinois River northeast of Peoria. It <Coach Ditka accent on> “Became deceased under mysterious circumstances.” <Coach Ditka accent off> but DNA tests confirmed it was from one of the packs that roam upper WI and MI.

Name:  7318C19A-3F7E-4FA8-833A-E111FAF2E3F4.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  29.0 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    There are good reasons wolves were hunted out of existence in the lower 48. They are much larger than dogs and a pack requires a large range. They eat and need a lot of game animals and in the winter I think they would eat anything they can from cattle, horses and people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Here is a 124 grain Gold Dot against a Canadian Wolf tooth for a size comparison.

Ill try to remember to take a pic of a 60lbs coyote canine tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Unarmed against a wolf or pack of wolves, you're gonna have a bad day. Armed, the odds are in your favor even if you don't have enough ammo to kill'em all. In North America your chances of being attacked by a wolf or wolves in wolf country are extremely low. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting attacked by wolves.

The link below is a list of wolf attacks in North America. Very few people have been killed by wolves on this continent and the number of reported non-fatal attacks is pretty minimal as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Here's the bottom line. Wolves are a thin skinned, lightly muscled critter. Any pistol you carry to stop two-legged critters is going to be effective at stopping a wolf.
    But wolves going after my hound dog would require the full amount of hate and discontent i could muster.

He's been gone 3 years. My wifes pom id be ok with them taking a snack.

Id also be willing to bet most wolf attacks turn into 411 reports or bear attacks because wolfs never attack people.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    But wolves going after my hound dog would require an AR with a couple 30-round mags.
    FIFY
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    For some reason this story has always haunted me:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...r13-story.html

I guess because it could have been adverted by a being armed, because I have a daughter and can only imagine her horror at the end, or because I am mystified by peoples desire to reintroduce wolves to the lower 48.

I have seen wolves in AK and they are large and swift. Watching them move through the river deadfalls where I was hunting was eerie. They were fast and relatively silent. I pretty much made the decision that if wolves came near me I would go on the offensive rather than try to retreat.

I like have a Ruger Toklat that I like to carry, but if I was in an area that had a heavy wolf population I would probably go with my Glock 20 and the Lehigh rounds.

I saw a red wolf on my property twice, it was definitely slightly bigger than the coyotes here. I know because it came flying out of the woods just ahead of me and turned and ran straight towards me. It got probably 12 foot from me and his head was about in line with my waist. Luckily my pit bull was right behind me and took off after it because I didn't even have time to draw my pistol and I had it aiwb but my shirt tucked in behind it.

Yesterday I had an encounter with a coyote I had seen the week before. Only this time it ran around the big pond headed down the trail I was on and started lowering its head and showing teeth. This time I had time to draw at least but my American bulldog took off after it. I am worried it may have beginning stages of rabies or something. I think I found it's den near there. I have to take time out deer hunting to take care of him and I am not pleased about that.

I am perfectly comfortable carrying 9mm as a woods gun around here anymore. Black bear, mt. lion, bobcat, coyote, hogs. I killed a boar that charged me on my back porch when I was putting my boots on one morning with a g19 with speer GD 124+p and boar are pretty tough animals and are shaped like torpedoes coming at you. I fear the venomous snakes around here the most, I had way too many close calls with rattlesnakes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    For some reason this story has always haunted me:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...r13-story.html

I guess because it could have been adverted by a being armed, because I have a daughter and can only imagine her horror at the end, or because I am mystified by peoples desire to reintroduce wolves to the lower 48.

I have seen wolves in AK and they are large and swift. Watching them move through the river deadfalls where I was hunting was eerie. They were fast and relatively silent. I pretty much made the decision that if wolves came near me I would go on the offensive rather than try to retreat.

I like have a Ruger Toklat that I like to carry, but if I was in an area that had a heavy wolf population I would probably go with my Glock 20 and the Lehigh rounds.
    There was a similar case in Canada involving a young lady taking a late afternoon hike around a frozen lake. Investigation indicated the pack parallelled her from the shore a considerable distance and based on tracks of the deceased she knew she was being stalked and changed course in a futile evasion attemt. IIRC eventually breaking into a run when the wolves came across the lake for her. Very sad.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I also found this article very interesting. Maybe it is more important to use what we shoot the best rather than get caught up in minutia.....

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/han...#axzz5wtQI8UPC

User Tag List