Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    404 link.

I guess some would call that a bear spray win?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Not too late for revenge?

I've got too much going on right now to make that happen. But that place definitely needs some hunting done. Too many bears.
    There appears to be a Fall season also. There was in the 2017-2018 season.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I guess some would call that a bear spray win?
    Of course none of us want to win our bear encounters that way!

The human spirit and resolve to survive never ceases to amaze me. Another incident occurred in the fall of 2016 here in Montana.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...b122564bf.html

Back to the tread:

Have been working to develop a +P penetrating load for my Kahr CW45 (always gun). Was having some function problems with hard cast heavy weights (250 - 265gr). Loads were accurate, but the little gun would sporatically FTF. I bought some Leigh 200gr Xtreme Penetrators and some Cutting Edge Solids. The Lehigh has a strange looking nose (resembles a phillips head screwdriver). The cutting edge is a WFN that is close t0 .340" IIRC, anyway its a big meplat.

Here are the mfg pictures (they take better pics, and I was too lazy to do it myself)
    Lehigh: https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...ant=1168571576

Cutting Edge: https://cuttingedgebullets.com/45-200gr-handgun-solid

Worked up to 1,000 fps from the 3.6" bbl using Ramshot Silhoutte. I used Silhoutte because it has always given me small extreme spreads and it's flash suppressed.

The Cutting Edge bullet takes about .7gr more Silhoutte to get the same velocities as the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator. The cutting edge can't be seated out beyond 1.220" because the WFN meplat will bind in the magazine. These bullets reduce case capacity vs the standard 200gr .45 bullets, so start low and work up if you use them.

At 1,000 fps +- 25 fps, both bullets function with 100 percent reliability in my CW45 so far (50 rnds). Typically FTFs will surface in the first mag with this gun.

What prompted me to make this post was the appearance of these bullets after impacting steel. I shot one round of each (1,000 fps +- impact vel) at a full size popper from about 5 long paces. I shot at the base of the popper and was at an angle so the bullets wouldn't bounce back at me. The spent bullets were extremely hot when picked up (hot potatoed them back to the bench).
    Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Top bullet is the Lehigh, bottom bullet (Cutting Edge), impacted the steel at a slightly greater angle.

Top bullet THis time is the Cutting Edge (shinny one). I think the grayish appearance of the Leigh is paint transfer or? from the popper.

I'm sure this will not occur in soft tissue or on bone.

Anyway, I thought the shape of the spent bullets was interesting.

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 05-24-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    The human spirit and resolve to survive never ceases to amaze me. Another incident occurred in the fall of 2016 here in Montana.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...b122564bf.html

Back to the tread:

Have been working to develop a +P penetrating load for my Kahr CW45 (always gun). Was having some function problems with hard cast heavy weights (250 - 265gr). Loads were accurate, but the little gun would sporatically FTF. I bought some Leigh 200gr Xtreme Penetrators and some Cutting Edge Solids. The Lehigh has a strange looking nose (resembles a phillips head screwdriver). The cutting edge is a WFN that is close t0 .340" IIRC, anyway its a big meplat.

Here are the mfg pictures (they take better pics, and I was too lazy to do it myself)
    Lehigh: https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...ant=1168571576

Cutting Edge: https://cuttingedgebullets.com/45-200gr-handgun-solid

Worked up to 1,000 fps from the 3.6" bbl using Ramshot Silhoutte. I used Silhoutte because it has always given me small extreme spreads and it's flash suppressed.

The Cutting Edge bullet takes about .7gr more Silhoutte to get the same velocities as the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator. The cutting edge can't be seated out beyond 1.220" because the WFN meplat will bind in the magazine. These bullets reduce case capacity vs the standard 200gr .45 bullets, so start low and work up if you use them.

At 1,000 fps +- 25 fps, both bullets function with 100 percent reliability in my CW45 so far (50 rnds). Typically FTFs will surface in the first mag with this gun.

What prompted me to make this post was the appearance of these bullets after impacting steel. I shot one round of each (1,000 fps +- impact vel) at a full size popper from about 5 long paces. I shot at the base of the popper and was at an angle so the bullets wouldn't bounce back at me. The spent bullets were extremely hot when picked up (hot potatoed them back to the bench).
    Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Top bullet is the Lehigh, bottom bullet (Cutting Edge), impacted the steel at a slightly greater angle.

Top bullet THis time is the Cutting Edge (shinny one). I think the grayish appearance of the Leigh is paint transfer or? from the popper.

I'm sure this will not occur in soft tissue or on bone.

Anyway, I thought the shape of the spent bullets was interesting.

FWIW,

Paul
    Dang. You must have leather coated hands. The recoil must be...crisp?

The CW45 handles recoil amazingly well. Everyone that's shot it comments on how mild felt recoil is.

Ment to mention above that the Underwood 45 ACP +P 200gr Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators chronos right a 1,000 fps from the CW45 (5 long paces from the muzzle and 68 deg F). Also, if it wasn't obvious, retained weight on both bullets was 200 grains.

Paul

Looks like I need to buy more of these bullets:

http://katu.com/news/local/police-sh...rtment-complex

User Tag List