Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a G22--I've had bad luck with them and less-than-standard ammo--but I would be willing to carry my M&P .40. It has shot every weird and regular load I've put in it. They are very underrated pistols.
    I have pictures somewhere of my Glock 22 in two pieces.....so I am with you. If it wasn't an HK, I would go with an M&P in .40 or .45 as my next choice. In an all steel gun.......I got to shoot a good bit of someone else's ammo through the stainless SIG 10 mm and liked it, but a USP Expert with +P .45 or .45 Super would be my ideal for the Modern Semi-Auto Field Gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have been very happy with my M&P45 but I have only fed it 230gr hardball. Might give some of Underwood's stuff a try... I've been very happy with my Glock 35 but probably wouldn't want to mess with very hot .40 in it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The two loads I would look at first for the HK45C for field use are the Underwood .45+P and Underwood .45 Super loadings with the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet. The +P is listed at 1,000 and the Super at 1,100 fps. If I was not around grizzly bears, I think I would go +P Underwood. The Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ-FP Super load has run in a half dozen HK45C pistols (but not the USP C), but I see no reason for it with the Underwood, and besides a better penetrating bullet, I think the Underwood will feed better.
    Thanks, I picked this up with an eye towards hiking in the Colorado Rockies where the biggest concerns are mountain lions and black bears. I will definitely check these suggestions out.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have pictures somewhere of my Glock 22 in two pieces.....so I am with you. If it wasn't an HK, I would go with an M&P in .40 or .45 as my next choice. In an all steel gun.......I got to shoot a good bit of someone else's ammo through the stainless SIG 10 mm and liked it, but a USP Expert with +P .45 or .45 Super would be my ideal for the Modern Semi-Auto Field Gun.
    Dagga, while I certainly agree with the slant towards things HK, my immediate question regarding the jig-sawed G22: Was it a Gen 3 (or earlier) or a Gen4? My thought is that a Gen4 should be pretty much sufficient (unless your exploded one was a Gen4), but it might be worth a call into Underwood/Lehigh just to make sure.

I'm pretty pleased with using a .40 in the Pacific NW as a hiking/wilderness gun-specifically my Gen4 G22, HK VP40 and P30L in light LEM (today when we were hiking in the Snoqualmie/Issaquah Alps area, it was a P30L that was tasked). Any of them size-wise would be easier for my wife to handle than my Glock Gen 3 "Big Butt" G21, which I'll still use as a wilderness/hunting gun when she's not present.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Data point -- my wife and I have three Gen 4 Glock 22 pistols, and two of them are problematic in terms of reliability. I have a couple year old Gen 4 23 that is north of 1,500 rounds, including Underwood Lehigh, and is yet to stumble.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Data point -- my wife and I have three Gen 4 Glock 22 pistols, and two of them are problematic in terms of reliability. I have a couple year old Gen 4 23 that is north of 1,500 rounds, including Underwood Lehigh, and is yet to stumble.
    I had the exact opposite experience -a G4G35 at 1645 documented rounds with only 1 malfunction using older magazines; 0 malfunctions in the newest iteration. My G4G23 choked repeatedly, even with 180gr Federal HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a G22--I've had bad luck with them and less-than-standard ammo--but I would be willing to carry my M&P .40. It has shot every weird and regular load I've put in it. They are very underrated pistols.
    Agree with the M&P 40.

I've been playing with some heavy bullets (200 gr xtp's and doubletap 200 gr WFNGC) and 800x after reading SDglock's heavy 40 thread over on glock talk. I've gotten some very impressive velocities using max load data, and the 100 rounds I've loaded and shot gave me no issues, recoil or feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I had the exact opposite experience -a G4G35 at 1645 documented rounds with only 1 malfunction using older magazines; 0 malfunctions in the newest iteration. My G4G23 choked repeatedly, even with 180gr Federal HST.
    Bolke may be smarter than he looks on that HK 40/45 thing......
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bolke may be smarter than he looks on that HK 40/45 thing......
    I have a couple of Gen 4 G22's. They are fine with very standard ammo. They don't like hot loads. I had an (admittedly early) Gen 4 G23. That is back when they were saying that the Gen 4 .40 guns were fine and the only problem with the 9mm's was limp wristing. It choked on hot loads and was finicky about regular ones.

From my perspective, if those Lehigh rounds penetrate, and if your pistol will reliably fire 140 grain loads at 1200 fps, that is an about ideal combination. No brutal recoil so you can follow up rapidly and I think it will get more penetration than most .45 loads.

And, as an increasingly old guy, I like polymer pistols because they are lighter and cause less back pain.

While we were never a .40 agency, we were a big .45 one. The +P .45 HST was really hard on the older SIG's, Glock 21's and 1911's. My guys reported back to me after retirement that the one gun that they had zero issues with with the +P loads were the HK USP .45's.

My broke in half Glock was a Gen 3. I simply do not trust a 9 mm made into a .40, versus things built as .40's first and foremost.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List