Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the quest for a semi-auto pistol that would reliably launch a bullet with the reasonable possibility of penetrating a bear's skull, I went through a slew of pistols. After trying Glock 20 and 29 pistols, third Gen S&W 10mm models, and numerous .40 pistols with hard cast loads, I ended with the HK USP FS .45, and .45 Super loads, as this was hands down the most reliable pistol/cartridge combination I tested, and I found the others lacking in reliability when shooting penetrator style loads.

For the last year I have been testing the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet as loaded by Underwood, in .45 Super, .45+P, .40 S&W and 9mm. My wife and I have shot this ammo in USP FS .45, HK45C, P2000 .40, PX4C 9, PX4 FS .40, Glock 22/23/27, USP FS .40, USP T 9, and probably some more types I have forgotten. We have yet to experience a single stoppage in any pistol we have tested the Lehigh Xtreme bullets in. I attribute this to the bullet being solid jacketed and despite having cutting edges, they are within a FMJ ball profile.

Since the Underwood Lehigh loads function reliably and by construction/velocity have the capability of penetrating a bear's skull, I have come to believe that any field pistol you have, that you verify function of this ammo, is now your "field pistol." Right now, I am partial to Underwood .40, as it is 140 grains at 1,200 fps which is right where I would like to be with a pistol penetrating load, it is still relatively soft shooting, and is very accurate in the pistols I have tested it.
    Thanks for sharing! Your posts on the field gun thread have given me a lot of food for thought. As I'm transitioning to the USP40C as my EDC I've been planning on eventually getting a USP45C and the +P Lehigh loads for my hiking gun. But I've also wondered if the .40 Lehigh would do the trick in the meantime since I already own that gun. I think this is the first time I've seen you mention the .40, but since you hold it in high regard, I'm sure it's good to go. Have you or anyone else seen any penetration testing or real life performance experience on the .40 vs +P 45 with this bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Your posts on the field gun thread have given me a lot of food for thought. As I'm transitioning to the USP40C as my EDC I've been planning on eventually getting a USP45C and the +P Lehigh loads for my hiking gun. But I've also wondered if the .40 Lehigh would do the trick in the meantime since I already own that gun. I think this is the first time I've seen you mention the .40, but since you hold it in high regard, I'm sure it's good to go. Have you or anyone else seen any penetration testing or real life performance experience on the .40 vs +P 45 with this bullet?
    The actual testing as regards penetration on a bear has been sparse. The .40 is 140 grains at 1,200 fps and the .45+P is 200 grains at 1,000 fps. The .40 holds more rounds and you own it, so that is probably the way to go for the field niche, unless you are looking for a reason to get another pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The actual testing as regards penetration on a bear has been sparse. The .40 is 140 grains at 1,200 fps and the .45+P is 200 grains at 1,000 fps. The .40 holds more rounds and you own it, so that is probably the way to go for the field niche, unless you are looking for a reason to get another pistol.
    Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't feel underpowered with that 40 load. In my area the most dangerous wildlife would be javelina and mountain lion, and from what I understand the mountain lions are usually very skittish of humans. But also from what I understand javelina have very tough skulls, so I want a good penetrating round. Since these don't expand, I like the idea of the bigger heavier 45, but I'm sure the 40 will have more than adequate penetration for my needs

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    My pocketbook is happy that isn't a LEM.
    David S.

I am going to give a bit of a multi decade assessment devoid of my normal fanboy. In 9mm, HK makes solid guns, but there is plenty of great competition and it is really a choice of what works best for you without many wrong answers. When it comes to .40 and .45 in a polymer framed gun shooting high performance loads, HK is the only thing I would consider....period.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    After going through the field gun thread (and also wanting a DA/SA .45 for AIWB carry) I ditched my Glock 29 and picked up a HK45C. I wanted something that I could conceal relatively easily with the ability to change purposes from street to field as easily as changing magazines/ammo. I agree with Dagga that nobody overbuilds a polymer .45 like HK, so the choice was easy for me.

So far I have been vetting it on standard pressure and +P 230 grain HST. I need to get some Super to run through it as well but it has been a little hard for me to find locally. I will also be checking out Lehigh offerings as well.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    After going through the field gun thread (and also wanting a DA/SA .45 for AIWB carry) I ditched my Glock 29 and picked up a HK45C. I wanted something that I could conceal relatively easily with the ability to change purposes from street to field as easily as changing magazines/ammo. I agree with Dagga that nobody overbuilds a polymer .45 like HK, so the choice was easy for me.

So far I have been vetting it on standard pressure and +P 230 grain HST. I need to get some Super to run through it as well but it has been a little hard for me to find locally. I will also be checking out Lehigh offerings as well.
    The two loads I would look at first for the HK45C for field use are the Underwood .45+P and Underwood .45 Super loadings with the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet. The +P is listed at 1,000 and the Super at 1,100 fps. If I was not around grizzly bears, I think I would go +P Underwood. The Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ-FP Super load has run in a half dozen HK45C pistols (but not the USP C), but I see no reason for it with the Underwood, and besides a better penetrating bullet, I think the Underwood will feed better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am going to give a bit of a multi decade assessment devoid of my normal fanboy. In 9mm, HK makes solid guns, but there is plenty of great competition and it is really a choice of what works best for you without many wrong answers. When it comes to .40 and .45 in a polymer framed gun shooting high performance loads, HK is the only thing I would consider....period.
    Personally I wouldn't use a G22--I've had bad luck with them and less-than-standard ammo--but I would be willing to carry my M&P .40. It has shot every weird and regular load I've put in it. They are very underrated pistols.

I've been meaning to work up and test a 10mm Lehigh load for the Glock 20...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List