Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    It seems we scared the crap out of the lion (it certainly scared us) because it jumped up onto a cliff in a frenzy...
    This probably isn’t the most comforting thought, but I think it’s very unlikely that you surprised the cougar. I bet it knew you were coming, but was surprised that you were bigger and/or more numerous than what it was planning to kill.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This probably isn’t the most comforting thought, but I think it’s very unlikely that you surprised the cougar. I bet it knew you were coming, but was surprised that you were bigger and/or more numerous than what it was planning to kill.

Reading that sent a shot of gut acid into my stomach.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 12-19-2019 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What surprised me if how fast this happened, and how quickly animal encounters unfold.
    You can read all the stories and watch the videos but seeing it with your own eyes is a bit of a mind f#@k. It goes to a whole nother level when the critter decides to stick around.

I'd not take cougars for granted, but many get overly concerned about them. Typical 5.56 and 9mm duty loads do well on them. The meat is delicious.

Wolves on the other hand...
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Wolves on the other hand...
    How hard are they to kill? They look just like big dogs...…

Or is it their numbers/pack behavior?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Or is it their numbers/pack behavior?
    The rule I've read is don't shoot one unless you have enough ammo for all of them. Draw blood on one, and the rest will die before they stop trying to kill you.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The rule I've read is don't shoot one unless you have enough ammo for all of them. Draw blood on one, and the rest will die before they stop trying to kill you.
    Where did you read that? Was it research or legend?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Almost certainly on 24HourCampfire. As I recall, the discussion was about getting treed by a pack. Just wait for them to lose interest, and they'll eventually go away. If you shoot one, the rest will hang out next to their dead friend for days (indefinitely/as long as it takes) waiting for you to climb or fall down. At least that was the consensus. I don't know for sure where the info came from, but of the people over there who spend time out in the woods putting bullets in meat, I don't remember any of them saying it was a bad operating principle.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-19-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

An interesting intermediate/dual-purpose route would be to judiciously choose between your normal qualified (DocGKR vetted) carry load, and then to have a back-up magazine of Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator.

The Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Defender is another interesting alternative; that's my choice in .45 ACP (generally carried in my Gen3 Glock G21).

For 9mm and .40, I'm more likely to have a vetted "normal" carry load and a magazine of Xtreme Penetrator; I'll situationally decide which will be loaded in the gun and which will be my back-up magazine.

For .357 magnum, my current normal carry load is 158 gr Federal Hydra-Shok, and hunting/hunting back-up is Hornaday Custom XTP 158 gr; Hornaday has just introduced a new line of handgun hunting ammunition, but information on it is pretty sketchy, so I'm not sure how it compares to their concurrently offered Custom XTP.

As I live, hunt and hike in the Pacific Northwest, I'm comfortable with these choices for protection against predators in my AOs.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-19-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Where did you read that? Was it research or legend?
    Almost certainly on 24HourCampfire. As I recall, the discussion was about getting treed by a pack. Just wait for them to lose interest, and they'll eventually go away. If you shoot one, the rest will hang out next to their dead friend for days (indefinitely/as long as it takes) waiting for you to climb or fall down. At least that was the consensus. I don't know for sure where the info came from, but of the people over there who spend time out in the woods putting bullets in meat, I don't remember any of them saying it was a bad operating principle.
    That is consistent with the wolf behavior that I have both researched and observed, but I would also say that our current attitudes towards wolves are great examples of "180 degrees from sick is still sick."

The bunny huggers think they are harmless, and the opposite side is convinced they are all a pack of canine sociopaths that will kill you for fun.

Neither side seems to understand wolf behavior terribly well, nor statistics on wolves attacking humans.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List