Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you have ever been near a wild wolf, and reflected on their size and athleticism, you would understand why wolves would think “humans don’t look hard to kill at all.” A single pack of wolves can move a large herd of caribou many miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If your husky or GS is pushing 150lbs then that is probably a decent comparison. Ive have had or been around huskys and GS and they arent as big as the wolves I have seen on average. Wolves are BIG.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Not to mention that they are pack animals and they attack in numbers.

Theory vs reality..
    People read that there is a rough equivalency in weight between gray wolves and things like German Shepherd Dogs, which sets up a false equivalency in size.

Yes. Wolves are BIG. The first time I saw a wolf track in good substrate, it was a total WTF moment as my brain tried to adjust to what I was seeing. The first time I saw a live wolf, my brain also had to do a recalibration.

The best analogy I could give is this: I'm 6'2". I once met a professional basketball player who was over seven feet tall. We both weighed about 240lbs, but there was no comparison in size.

When I was younger and dumber I thought I could stay on my feet when a medium sized GSD hit the bite sleeve. I can't imagine dealing with a wolf up close, let alone one going for each arm while another pair zip in for my hamstrings.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A single pack of wolves can move a large herd of caribou many miles.
    Because herd animals will always move away from predators, wolves can move them just by trailing the herd. I remember one researcher observed wolves running a herd in relays so the wolves didn't tire themselves out. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a solo human.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

100% Lester Id tangle with a 150lb GSD before I ever wanted to mess with a wolf.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Yes. Wolves are BIG. The first time I saw a wolf track in good substrate, it was a total WTF moment as my brain tried to adjust to what I was seeing. The first time I saw a live wolf, my brain also had to do a recalibration.
    On our East Texas deer lease, when I saw Mexican Red Wolves there, a single wolf took up 2/3 to 3/4 of a timber truck road. It was huge--and we own a Newfoundland Dog, so I'm not easily impressed by dog size.

ETA: I also spent college hanging out with a guy with a half Husky half wolf. She was 200 lbs and all lap dog. She played like a wolf, really mouthy--first time in his store, he was on the phone and didn't see when his dog came back to check me out. We introduced ourselves and she started playing. He turns around and sees me with my arm in his dog's mouth up to the elbow. I know she was playing, but he didn't know that, and freaked out. So I'm used to big dogs, but those wolves were still huge.
    Last edited by Tod-13; 12-20-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Unarmed against a wolf or pack of wolves, you're gonna have a bad day. Armed, the odds are in your favor even if you don't have enough ammo to kill'em all. In North America your chances of being attacked by a wolf or wolves in wolf country are extremely low. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting attacked by wolves.

The link below is a list of wolf attacks in North America. Very few people have been killed by wolves on this continent and the number of reported non-fatal attacks is pretty minimal as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Here's the bottom line. Wolves are a thin skinned, lightly muscled critter. Any pistol you carry to stop two-legged critters is going to be effective at stopping a wolf.

There is a reason there are very few “wolf gun” internet threads. Almost always, areas that have wild wolves also have grizzly bears. Your wolf gun is also likely your bear gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    The link below is a list of wolf attacks in North America. Very few people have been killed by wolves on this continent and the number of reported non-fatal attacks is pretty minimal as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
    Yes, but how many people have been bitten and turned into werewolves??

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Yes, but how many people have been bitten and turned into werewolves??
    I'd have to say most of eastern Canada.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yea...but will a wolf do this?

Name:  51AEB998-D540-4FDE-B7F3-6C0373E77A86.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  39.8 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

The very vast majority of people have ZERO concept of how big these dang things are..

My dad was about 220#s when he took this one.

It made him look small.

He could hardly lift it for the pic.

User Tag List