Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    So USPc .45 viable and what commercial ammo? Thanks!
    What is your question?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is your question?
    I have a lead on a USPc.45 for cheap and am wondering if it is adequate for outdoor use. I'd also like to know what commercially available ammo you recommend.

Thanks

I have a lead on a USPc.45 for cheap and am wondering if it is adequate for outdoor use. I'd also like to know what commercially available ammo you recommend.

Thanks
    In my testing, 45 Super ammo functioned in the HK45, HK45C, USP FS but not the USP Compact, so I would not consider the USP Compact adequate for my outdoor use. I did not test Underwood Lehigh .45 +P in it, just the Super loads. If +P is enough for you and you are willing to shoot enough ammo to vet the USP Compact, it might meet your needs.

Thanks
    Outdoor use in what state or region?

It sure would be convenient for this thread if we find out they used 9mm Lehigh's.

http://www.localnews8.com/lifestyle/...kers/749273256
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Outdoor use in what state or region?
    VA and maybe TX when I go down there to visit the in-laws. I wont do a USPc though...true talk I really wanted another reason to buy it haha.

VA and maybe TX when I go down there to visit the in-laws. I wont do a USPc though...true talk I really wanted another reason to buy it haha.
    For lower 48 even a 9mm would be fine. I do carry my .45 1911 on occasion but just cause I like 1911s. But if I'm on a long backpacking trip I carry a g19.

I recently bought a box each of the Underwood +P and +P+ 115gr 9mm to try out. Today's chrono work, 5 shots each load from a G19 and G26:

59 degrees, partial clouds
    Shooting Chrony F1 @12' from muzzle

G19:
    +P
    Hi 1246
    Lo 1219
    Avg 1234
    ES 27
    SD 9

+P+
    Hi 1376
    Lo 1357
    Avg 1365
    ES 19
    SD 6

G26:
    +P
    Hi 1220
    Lo 1195
    Avg 1202
    ES 25
    SD 9

+P+
    Hi 1336
    Lo 1321
    Avg 1331
    ES 15
    SD 5

I then fired a mag of each through the G26, fairly quickly, into a 4" circle at 10 yards. The +P+ was predictably snappier, but by no means objectionable.

I am impressed -- this stuff is clean, consistent, and easy to deliver hits with at speed. I'm planning to order a larger stash to supplement my usual Gold Dot 124 +P, prior to a late summer west coast road trip which might find me out in the boonies. The only question is... +P or +P+? Given the mission of this load, and its controllability in my hands, I'm not seeing any disadvantage to the +P+. Thoughts?

Do you think another 100 or so fps will cause the bullet to perform better for your intended use? If not, I would go with the +P load since it is likely closer to the middle of the reliability envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do you think another 100 or so fps will cause the bullet to perform better for your intended use? If not, I would go with the +P load since it is likely closer to the middle of the reliability envelope.
    Yeah, that's kind of itching at the back of my brain...I'm not excited about spending the cash on enough +P+ to verify reliability to my satisfaction, for a load that I'm realistically only going to have a use for a couple of times a year. I'm a gun nerd, not an outdoorsman..

User Tag List