Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

In the quest for a semi-auto pistol that would reliably launch a bullet with the reasonable possibility of penetrating a bear's skull, I went through a slew of pistols. After trying Glock 20 and 29 pistols, third Gen S&W 10mm models, and numerous .40 pistols with hard cast loads, I ended with the HK USP FS .45, and .45 Super loads, as this was hands down the most reliable pistol/cartridge combination I tested, and I found the others lacking in reliability when shooting penetrator style loads.

For the last year I have been testing the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator bullet as loaded by Underwood, in .45 Super, .45+P, .40 S&W and 9mm. My wife and I have shot this ammo in USP FS .45, HK45C, P2000 .40, PX4C 9, PX4 FS .40, Glock 22/23/27, USP FS .40, USP T 9, and probably some more types I have forgotten. We have yet to experience a single stoppage in any pistol we have tested the Lehigh Xtreme bullets in. I attribute this to the bullet being solid jacketed and despite having cutting edges, they are within a FMJ ball profile.

Since the Underwood Lehigh loads function reliably and by construction/velocity have the capability of penetrating a bear's skull, I have come to believe that any field pistol you have, that you verify function of this ammo, is now your "field pistol." Right now, I am partial to Underwood .40, as it is 140 grains at 1,200 fps which is right where I would like to be with a pistol penetrating load, it is still relatively soft shooting, and is very accurate in the pistols I have tested it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here is a guy shooting the 9mm load through a bear skull. Very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Here is a guy shooting the 9mm load through a bear skull. Very encouraging.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dv5LSsss3U
    Thanks for posting that. If comparable skulls were more widely available I think some would be surprised how well a lot of service pistol caliber ammo would work on them. Just a bet.

Right next to that one on youtube was this pretty fast bear charge with the shotgun stop. Russian I assume.

Because "field pistol". And bear.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would be interesting to know how the subject bullet performs in actual field use in putting down animals.

Thanks George, great info. This might actually be the only reason I've had to buy a Glock 22....

Does Black Hills use the same bullet in their Honey Badger rounds?

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/...lls+ammunition

What is the consensus on these type of rounds for shooting people?

Much of your testing has changed a lot of my ideas about this stuff. I was lucky that during my one bear issue that luckily did not result in having to shoot the bear, I was carrying my Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull that is still my current favorite back country fishing gun. I would have no issues now with going to my USP 45 Expert with the +P .45 as a universal woods and two legged gun. Federal +P .45 HST for people and the Underwood round in the back country. I would think POI would be really close with both loads, and my gun will be getting custom fixed sights that could be zero'd right to POI. Where I see huge potential for 9mm or .40 is for those who bicycle in the back country. My Bowen S&W 296 was my go to mountain biking gun in the Eastern Sierras and Big Bear, that would be easily replaced with a P2000SK or Glock 26/27. Good stuff George.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Does Black Hills use the same bullet in their Honey Badger rounds?

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/...lls+ammunition

That looks like their Xtreme Defense, not the penetrator.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Thanks George, great info. This might actually be the only reason I've had to buy a Glock 22....
    Good news! Saw new G22's on sale at Palmetto state armory for ~$400 this morning. Not sure what their shipping cost is on top of that or what your ffl costs might be, but seemed like a great price.

User Tag List