Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

I just finished loading up six 200gr penetrators in .45. I’m going to chrony then tomorrow and see how they do. Later I’m going shoot some into some Clear Ballistics gel and see how many blocks it takes to stop them.

Attachment 19409
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

@GJM - is bear spray part of your anti big bear strategy ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I just finished loading up six 200gr penetrators in .45. I’m going to chrony then tomorrow and see how they do. Later I’m going shoot some into some Clear Ballistics gel and see how many blocks it takes to stop them.
    Look forward to your testing. Underwood lists the +P Lehigh at 200 grains at 1,000 fps, and the Super at 1,100.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    @GJM - is bear spray part of your anti big bear strategy ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    We have it to loan to people that don't possess adequate firearms skills, and we are happy to have someone in our party carry it and walk in front to deploy it. So far no takers. Notably, one long time friend I have worked with for twenty years, who is anti-gun, said "do you have your gun, as soon as we encountered bear poop on a hike back in July."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have it to loan to people that don't possess adequate firearms skills, and we are happy to have someone in our party carry it and walk in front to deploy it. So far no takers. Notably, one long time friend I have worked with for twenty years, who is anti-gun, said "do you have your gun, as soon as we encountered bear poop on a hike back in July."
    Funny how people change their tune once they realize they are responsible for their own safety and perceive a potential threat.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Funny how people change their tune once they realize you are responsible for their safety and perceive a potential threat.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My opinion is just that, so take it with a grain of salt.

In lower 48, I would happily go forth with my 9mm loaded with 124+P Gold Dot. I would carry an extra magazine or two of Underwood Lehigh ammo if I was concerned about bears, and switch to those magazines when in the field around bears. Of course, if I was really worried about bears, I would want my Benelli and Brenneke slugs.

If you have a reliable .40 or .45, and want to carry it in the field, it might be a skosh better than the 9 with Lehigh, but I wouldn't carry a less reliable or significantly harder to shoot gun just because of bears.

This is my multi-step process for bears.

1) Wait as long as possible to give the bear a chance to leave on its own.

2) Consider a warning shot as the bear closes, if you have capacity and conditions are favorable (good background, no family or dogs down range).

3) If time and distance allows, invest one round on a body shot, on the theory that bears don't like being shot, and that may cause the bear to run off.

4) If steps 1-3 are ineffective, shoot the brain with everything you have left, using a bullet that has the potential of penetrating to the brain.
    Thanks. This makes a lot of sense.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime

Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

I had picked up some 147 grain BB Outdoorsman 9mm hard cast for my woods load.

It is smoky, but seems reliable. Honestly it is so expensive I only ran maybe 50 rounds through the gun to test reliability.

Should I swap to the Underwood/Lehigh?

This is for a Glock 9mm.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 08-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I had picked up some 147 grain BB Outdoorsman 9m hard cast for my woods load.

It is smoky, but seems reliable, but honestly it is so expensive I only ran maybe 50 rounds through the gun to test reliability.

Should I swap to the Underwood/Lehigh?

This is for a Glock 9mm.
    I would, both on account of hard cast and Glock barrels, which is not fully settled in my mind, and because the Lehigh bullet profile is more conducive to reliability.

On Larry Mudget's site he recommends the 147gr hard cast boutique loads for the 9mm, but also lists the 147gr Speer Lawman as a recommended loading for woods defense. The Lawman uses a bullet plated in the same process as the Gold Dots, so in theory better than other FMJ loads at not falling apart.

That LeHigh 140gr .40 at just over 1000fps should be a mid range load, as far as recoil and slide velocity, so a G22 should run just fine. When we had issues back in 2006 and dumped the .40 I noted the 165gr Gold Dot was running near 1200fps, the 180gr load around 1080fps, both were kind of stout.

If I was going to buy a $300 gen 3 G22 and maybe carry it in the woods I'd likely use the LeHigh round for predator defense, Critical Defense or the mid range 165gr Gold Dot for in town.

All of this talk reminds me that discussions like this have been around awhile...

Name:  .38SuperPoster.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  33.3 KB
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    What is the consensus on these type of rounds for shooting people?
    To steal a quote from Pat Rogers, when he was talking about using .38special 158gr LSWC duty ammo when he was on NYPD, "It worked pretty good, if you could shoot".

Ammo such as that in discussion will work fine on people, as far as effectiveness, but I'd hope no one else was down range anywhere close.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List