Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POA when pistol is canted?

A lot of this depends on what kind of target you're trying to hit. Remember, barrels in almost all pistols and rifles are angled up relative to the ground (not parallel to the ground). This is what causes the bullet to rise up and intersect with your gun's sights at whatever distance you are zeroed. If you turn the gun 90 degrees to the left, now your barrel is tilted to the left. The bullet is also not going to climb at all like this, it will begin falling to the ground as soon as it leaves the barrel. The end result may be that you notice that your impact is low of where your point of aim was. I've seen this as much as 3-4" low at 25 yds when shooting canted around a barricade. For low percentage shots like this or trying to hit the upper A box of a USPSA target, I try to keep the gun as perpendicular as I can.

Site Supporter
    If you really want to examine the concept, try shooting an AR in asymmetrical positions at different ranges. As mentioned above, the bullet is still affected by gravity when it leaves the barrel, causing it to drop without the mechanical offset of the sights. Since there is a slight mechanical offset in the sights the bullet is also launched toward the front sight. With a battlesight zero (25/200) the bullet may not drop too much, but as it moves from zero to 25 yards it approaches the point of aim from the side the barrel is on, and past 25 yards it will continue in the direction of the front sight. Shooting rollover (or urban) prone and SBU prone at 100 yards are excellent references for this concept.

Intentional canting is more of a specialized circumstances/limited distance type of engagement like clearing hard corners when you can't get distance from the corner, or retention drills, or one handed shooting, or barricade supported, where the difficulty (or novelty) of what you are doing makes pure accuracy harder to achieve.

It is my contention that pistols are more difficult to shoot accurately than rifles, and while the rifle may demonstrate the concept, a person's pistol skills may not be up to a practical comparison. Many shooters can't figure out why when they are holding the gun in two hands, dead nuts vertical that they stringing to the lower left of thier target, and moving to a closer distance where a shooter can shoot a one hole group may not be a distance that allows canting to be an observable variable.

Just my thoughts when I have been too many hours without sleep.

pat

With a handgun and typical handguns distances (and targets) it is a non issue. I shoot class demos with the gun at all angles including
    upside down on 8" steels to about 15 yards. Trying to split a playing card??? Then lots of stuff matters!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

I've been the range at least three times since I originally posted this question, but I kept forgetting to test the POI with a canted pistol. Yesterday I finally did some hands-on research, and as others have predicted, there is no appreciable POI shift at close range (under 10 yds). I simulated learning around an IPDA barricade, and realized my off-balance, leaned-over body position presented much more of a challenge to accuracy than the 45 degree cant of the pistol.

I fully believe a canted firearm can cause a POI shift, but I think it only becomes an issue at longer range, the kind of distances typically reserved for rifles.

Thanks to all who contributed advice and ideas.

I have seen High Power (rifle) shooters with a considerable cant in the standing position. David Tubb is successful with the stance.
    Of course they are shooting at known distances and have determined the appropriate sight settings.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

As UNM1136 alludes to, go out & shoot that issue enough to know for you, your skills, your equipment.

What changes for me is the outcome when I screw up the trigger manipulation. I don't see it panning out the same way as when the pistol is upright.

From the German user manual of the HK P30:

Name:  Zielen.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  24.1 KB

Tiefschuss links = POI is low left
    Tiefschuss rechts = POI is low right

www.heckler-koch.com/de/service/bedienungsanleitungen.html

But I think, at 7 yards the effect is negligible. At 25 yards, it will have a noticeable effect.
    Last edited by P30; 09-11-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Odd, I can invert a pistol completely and the rounds still go where I want.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List