Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey 2017

Hurricane Harvey 2017

Watching the news on the incoming storm / Hurricane Harvey to the Corpus Cristi TX area.

Thoughts and prayers out to all the folks in the way of this slow moving system.

Having lived through a few of these in FL, what is coming is no fun, no fun at all.

Be safe y'all. @Chuck Whitlock @Gadfly

+1. I've lived thru a few as well. Prepare and hunker down or get out as needed!
    Last edited by iWander; 08-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.

I was down in the Corpus Cristi / Mustang Island over the holidays last year and really enjoyed the people as well as the area. I'm hoping for minimal impact to the area for you guys.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Was on a cruise this past week. Missed him and Honduras by going to Grand Cayman instead.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Forecast puts it at a category 3 when it lands. I hadn't even heard about this until just now.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I've spent most of today, and will tomorrow too, helping family get ready/out that are in the path. My house will get a lot of wind & rain, hopefully it doesn't flood.

Attachment 19317

Hurricane Harvey 2017

I just un-assed Corpus Christi about an hour ago. Heading back home to Houston to ride out the storm.... traffic out of Corpus sucked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 08-24-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I've been through a couple of majors here in FLA, but none that dumped as much rain as Harvey will. Hide from wind, run from water. Prayers for all in the path.
    Last edited by Hambo; 08-24-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My department hasn't sent out a department-wide email yet, but the schedule shows that they plan to be manning all boosters, rescue boats, and adding a couple more medic units. I'm already signed up for a day shift on Sunday (which was scheduled well before Harvey was considered a threat); I missed the Tax Day floods last year, so perhaps I'll see some more action this time around.

This will probably be my 5th or 6th time working through a hurricane or major rain event. In Houston I'm not worried so much about the wind damage but rather the inevitable flooding. Gas stations are already running out of fuel and the stores are low on the staple foods like milk, bread, eggs, etc. Took time today to prep the family and it's 12 hour shifts until this thing blows through. My prediction is that I will ultimately end up in the bed of a dump truck running calls and helping with rescues. I have a 10kw portable generator for the house but hate that I didn't pony up for a transfer switch at my breaker box. I'm hoping that we won't have to use it.
    Last edited by andre3k; 08-24-2017 at 10:34 PM.

User Tag List