Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Current State of the RDS for Carbines

Thanks guys. Im debating about waffling fromthe 30mm tobe in favor of getting a standard battery. The Vortex Sparc seems to get good reviews and it takes a standard AAA which is attractive. In my declilne from tacticalness I just don't want to keep all these oddball batteries around anymore...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWB3DIM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’m in need of a new rds for my pcc. The gun is suppressed so I can’t use it for games, but I like to keep it around for potential varmints larger than coons and possums.

The optic doesn’t need to be robust in terms of abuse, necessarily, but it does need to function if I zero it and don’t pull it out of the safe again for 6 months or a year. I. Also hoping to get into it for <$200 if possible. And I’m think g I’d prefer a 30mm tube over a micro just because it’s likely to be used at night and I find the larger tube easier to acquire the dot.

So what’s the new hotness?

The gun Curren,ty wears a ~20 year old diamond reticule eotech that’s not working (which may just be a battery issue, but at that vintage I’m Just going to keep having battery issues).
    The Primary Arms Advanced Micro isn't the new hotness, nor does it have a 30mm tube, but it's reliable and rugged for its price. I have personally observed a battery life of more than a year with the dot set to a level that's readily visible.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight ( @Tom_Jones , if you want to edit my link so you get paid for the clicks, please do so. I'm not sure how.)

I have not personally run the Advanced Micro hard, but the one we have has been on 22 lr, 5.56 and 308 ARs and has held up. I personally know of one person who has been running the push button version for about three years. He shoots it frequently and the rifle it's mounted on is used as a loaner to any of his students who needs it. He's never had a problem with it. Downside is optical quality. It's good, but not Aimpoint good. It also has more lens flare than an Aimpoint when the sun is at certain angles. Overall, I'm pleased with the Advanced Micro and surprised at it's performance for the price point.

For the use you describe, I would not hesitate to buy a Primary Arms Advanced Micro. However, I would not consider it as an economical alternative for anything I specifically want Aimpoint quality for.

If I understand correctly what you want the optic for, I would suggest you take a look at the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x scope. It's more than double your $200 preference, but you're getting a lot of optic for the money. 1.25x is very usable at close quarters ranges and the optical quality is good. It has a Firedot sight with a motion detector that turns it on the instant the scope is moved. The battery on mine is still good after almost a year. I got mine during a special sale. A Leupold AR mount came with the scope at no extra charge. I believe current price for the VX-R 1.25-4 is between $500 and $600.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-24-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I initially bought the early 30mm red dots from Primary Arms for our 15-22's. They weren't really daylight visible and didn't hold up.

I've been running the Vortex StrikeFire 2 on them ever since. If you shop, you can find them for a lot cheaper than their retail price.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-stri...2-red-dot.html

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The Primary Arms Advanced Micro isn't the new hotness, nor does it have a 30mm tube, but it's reliable and rugged for its price. I have personally observed a battery life of more than a year with the dot set to a level that's readily visible.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight ( @Tom_Jones , if you want to edit my link so you get paid for the clicks, please do so. I'm not sure how.)

I have not personally run the Advanced Micro hard, but the one we have has been on 22 lr, 5.56 and 308 ARs and has held up. I personally know of one person who has been running the push button version for about three years. He shoots it frequently and the rifle it's mounted on is used as a loaner to any of his students who needs it. He's never had a problem with it. Downside is optical quality. It's good, but not Aimpoint good. It also has more lens flare than an Aimpoint when the sun is at certain angles. Overall, I'm pleased with the Advanced Micro and surprised at it's performance for the price point.

For the use you describe, I would not hesitate to buy a Primary Arms Advanced Micro. However, I would not consider it as an economical alternative for anything I specifically want Aimpoint quality for.
    thanks for the feedback. As I may have mentioned, I'm not looking for anything that is going to get beat up. It's going to sit in the safe 364 days a year, with the dot turned off actually, and I just need it to work when I grab it and turn the knob or push the button.

If I understand correctly what you want the optic for, I would suggest you take a look at the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x scope. It's more than double your $200 preference, but you're getting a lot of optic for the money. 1.25x is very usable at close quarters ranges and the optical quality is good. It has a Firedot sight with a motion detector that turns it on the instant the scope is moved. The battery on mine is still good after almost a year. I got mine during a special sale. A Leupold AR mount came with the scope at no extra charge. I believe current price for the VX-R 1.25-4 is between $500 and $600.
    you probably missed my intent. There was no euphemism in my post. I literally mean critters like foxes and bobcats on our 1.25 acre lot.

also, I owned one of those scopes, and I wouldn't go back to one.

...you probably missed my intent. There was no euphemism in my post. I literally mean critters like foxes and bobcats on our 1.25 acre lot.

also, I owned one of those scopes, and I wouldn't go back to one.
    I didn't think there was a hidden meaning. I interpreted your post as looking for an optic for a rifle that will probably be kept by the back door, in case of the occasional critter, that wouldn't be handled much. The part about not being handled much is key to my suggestion because I don't think the battery life in the Leupold would be very long if the rifle was used in such a way that meant the dot was always on.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Any SHOT 2020 Carbine RDS updates?

Site Supporter
    I saw Trijicon has a new version of the MRO with a 3X magnifier to go with it.

Aimpoint has the new M5B which has (in my opinion) useless ballistic drop turrets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post

Aimpoint has the new M5B which has (in my opinion) useless ballistic drop turrets.
    They’ve had comp m4’s with ballistic drop turrets in service with iirc the Swedish military and possibly others for a while.

Primary Arms is coming out with a 25mm body 2 MOA red dot that still uses the T1 footprint, they'll be available I think in April, and a version of it with the ACSS BDC reticle like the one offered in the Holosun 503G.

I've been using the 503G ACSS for a few months now and I'm sold on it.

Geissele dropped a heavy 1-6 that would've been relevant in 2015.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 01-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    They’ve had comp m4’s with ballistic drop turrets in service with iirc the Swedish military and possibly others for a while.
    Aimpoint most likely had/has a military contract for the M5Bs. It would interest me if I ran 300BLK Subsonics with a 6.75" MCX and probably be cheaper than the Wilcox BOSS.

User Tag List