Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current State of the RDS for Carbines

Current State of the RDS for Carbines

Since these various "current state" threads seem to be going well...

What's the current top dog? What's coming next? What's the current "good enough for plinking/gaming" budget option? Fullsize vs mini? Best mini? Best fullsized? What's the best thing to use when offset? Is the RDS dead in the world of 1.x-Y optics? What reticule is best? What MOA?

For myself, having started out with an Aimpoint Comp ML2 and whatever was the new-hotness Eotech at the time (I had a project where I bought the seemingly #1 and #2 product in each segment like grips, stocks, handgaurds, etc. and assembled two guns with each using one or the other product so I could evaluate what I liked best in each, and eventually assembled one "best in class" carbine for myself) I settled on the Aimpoint and haven't really looked at Eotech since. Or frankly any other brand. Like the Glock, Colt AR, Winchester M70, etc. I've seen various things touted as "better" or (more often) "just as good as" but never found much reason to stray. I've had a couple of dalliances with the various minis, but have found myself coming back to the forgiving eye/head position of the 30mm Aimpoints.

I do still currently have one Eotech, a very old version with a diamond reticule. I'd like to get rid of that (no idea if there's an Eotech collector market) and switch to a budget RDS or Aimpoint knockoff since it's just on a PCC that I occasionally shoot in steel matches and may try in USPSA PCC soon. But I really don't know what's best in the knockoff world, having never paid it much attention.

I don't find the RDS to be dead, again having played briefly with the 1.x-Y optics, because I frankly don't often find myself shooting at distances where I need magnification. And since I do so pretty rarely, I keep coming back to wanting to try one of the newer magnifiers on a mount that is both tippable and QD so that I can use it when/if I think I might need it but otherwise not suffer the weight.

I am one of those people that prefers the Eotech reticule, but find the overall performance of the Aimpoint to be better. I like the 2 MOA dot in the Aimpoint better than the 4, likely due to my astigmatism that doesn't seem to get completely corrected even by my glasses.

I've heard EOTech has fixed thermal drift issues as well as some durability issues in their newer manufactured Holo sights. I also heard they're better for people with astigmatisms. Is any of that true or are people blowing smoke with regards to that?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

One of my carbines has an Aimpont ML2, the others have a 1-4 and 1-8 variable. Most of the time I shoot my AR is beyond 100 yards and the magnified optic is nice to have.

I still think Aimpoint is a good choice for most people.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

For a PCC gun, I think you'd be fine with either the Advanced micro from Primary Arms or the Vortex micro style dot (forget its name).
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    For a PCC gun, I think you'd be fine with either the Advanced micro from Primary Arms or the Vortex micro style dot (forget its name).
    What about the fullsize?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I've heard EOTech has fixed thermal drift issues as well as some durability issues in their newer manufactured Holo sights. I also heard they're better for people with astigmatisms. Is any of that true or are people blowing smoke with regards to that?

That was what was told to us by our Rep and is why we carry them again, our current Eotech's have an "Inspected on 06/XX/17" date for example and they do work better for me with my Astigmatism compared to even my T-2 which is an improvement to older Aimpoints to my eyes.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    That was what was told to us by our Rep and is why we carry them again, our current Eotech's have an "Inspected on 06/XX/17" date for example and they do work better for me with my Astigmatism compared to even my T-2 which is an improvement to older Aimpoints to my eyes.
    What's the difference between the EXPS2 and EXPS3?

What's the difference between the EXPS2 and EXPS3?

Pretty sure it's NV compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I'd be kinda interested if Eotech made a "gamer" or "range" version that didn't have the metal housing and was significantly less expensive.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd be kinda interested if Eotech made a "gamer" or "range" version that didn't have the metal housing and was significantly less expensive.
    Between our discounted price and the $75 mail in rebate from Eotech, it's a good time to buy one.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List