Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trijicon he vs I dot pro

I'll just add that sight radius plays a role too. I don't notice the width of the .140 HD front sight on my G34, but on my G19 I'd prefer the thinner XR front.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-24-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'll just add that sight radius plays a role too. I don't notice the width of the .140 HD front sight on my G34, but on my G19 I'd prefer the thinner XR front.
    That is something I am trying to figure out now. Does anyone have a formula for determining how sight radius affects sight width or front sight width to rear sight notch width for dummies? I became a cop because it didn't involve math.

I am curious how much say 1/4" more sight radius affects the look of how wide the front sight appears. Say a person is using a .115 width front sight on a Glock 26 and a .125 front sight width on a Glock 19. How wide would the sight appear to be different, if at all?

Comparing the same sight width on a Glock 26 to a Glock 34 would make it look like the 34 had a narrower sight just due to the sight radius but is there a way to figure out how much. When I look at the sights I like and compare front sight width to rear sight notch width I find a happy spot and want to replicate that on a gun with longer or shorter sight radius but don't have the math skills or a formula to work it out or even a good close estimate. Maybe I will start another thread or add it to one of the sight threads to keep from getting this one off topic too far.

ETA arm length will also play a role but assuming a median height male a formula should give a decent approximation.
    Last edited by octagon; 08-24-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    That is something I am trying to figure out now. Does anyone have a formula for determining how sight radius affects sight width or front sight width to rear sight notch width for dummies? I became a cop because it didn't involve math.

Comparing the same sight width on a Glock 26 to a Glock 34 would make it look like the 34 had a narrower sight just due to the sight radius but is there a way to figure out how much. When I look at the sights I like and compare front sight width to rear sight notch width I find a happy spot and want to replicate that on a gun with longer or shorter sight radius but don't have the math skills or a formula to work it out or even a good close estimate. Maybe I will start another thread or add it to one of the sight threads to keep from getting this one off topic too far.

ETA arm length will also play a role but assuming a median height male a formula should give a decent approximation.
    To quote one of the MACs that I used to work with "that's a WHOLE OTTA MAFF goin' on dere..." when trying to figure the effect of sight radius (and arm length!) on sight picture. I will tell you I have two (2) "TCAP" front sights - one is mated to Dave Spaulding's new "precision" CAP narrow rear sight - and it's mounted on a G34. There is, quite possibly, not enough "light" in that sight picture - something I have to play around with some more. On my G26 with "Operator" rears, the narrowness of the TCAP front isn't all that apparent. Switch the TCAP front to my G19 or G17, and the sight looks VERY thin, to my eyes.

Again, I'm open to discussion on this, but, for me so far, I have found best results with Ameriglo's "standard" sights. Meprolights on GLOCKs are too "tight" - not enough light between the front sight and rear notch. HD fronts are too thick for long range precision work. "Pro Operator" style wide rear notches are great for me to "go fast" but I struggle with too much light to get the front sight lined up well during longer range accuracy focused shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    At 61, this is where my eyes are at. There was a time when I had perfect vision and preferred and shot best with a thin front sight. A Heinie Slant Pro front (.125) night sight was the best performing FOR ME. Until age changes that. For me now, the Ameriglo .140 ProGlow combined with their Pro Operator (.180) work better than any other combo. The lower square notch reduces the vertical error I see with Trij HDs because.....eyes.

Everyone is different, and what works best today likely won't be the same 10 years from now.
    I'm considering getting the Pro Glo front sight on my G26. What shape/color did you go with? I'm leaning towards the orange/square combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I tend to agree with @psalms144.1 on this.

It's personal preference. I've trained enough different shooters to know that not everyone's eyes can pick up the thinner front sights well AND most shooters don't have the visual discipline to shoot a high vis front sight at speed at any significant distance.

I like a thinner front sight too, but if you go thinner on the front sight without also narrowing the rear notch (like the trijicon HD XR's), you may find that you have a more difficult time shooting accurately at distance because the amount of light on either side of the front sight makes it harder to find the exact center of the notch. A great drill for evaluating differences in sight width/rear notch width is shooting a 25yd plate rack for time. Your front sight could be .100" or less, but if you don't also pair it with a narrow rear notch you are going to be throwing rounds all over the place on a drill like this.
    Shooting plate racks at 25 yards showed me how much a wide rear with a narrow front (defoors) messed with me. I was all over the place... shooting b8s with defoors I was good to go at the same distance, shooting plates for time I was right and left of that plate all morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucus McCain View Post
    I'm considering getting the Pro Glo front sight on my G26. What shape/color did you go with? I'm leaning towards the orange/square combination.
    yellow tends to stand out quite a bit more, atleast for me.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    yellow tends to stand out quite a bit more, atleast for me.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been torn between the two. Wish I could see examples in person of the two mounted.

For my eyes, the orange shows up better in a greater range of lighting conditions, YMMV. I have a square ProGlo on my 2nd gen 19 and round ProGlos on a 34, 17, 26 and new 19. I prefer the round but honestly I shoot them all the same, or close enough where daily variation is probably the difference.

I "think" I can see the top edge of the sight a bit better with the round, because there is a bit more blade vs paint. But again, it's probably individual eyes and preference because I really can't say I shoot them better when I score or work speed. The square set was the first ProGlo I bought, the round folllowed.

I've haven't found the need to swap them off the 2nd gen 19 that sees a LOT of carry.
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-25-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For my eyes, the orange shows up better in a greater range of lighting conditions, YMMV. I have a square ProGlo on my 2nd gen 19 and round ProGlos on a 34, 17, 26 and new 19. I prefer the round but honestly I shoot them all the same, or close enough where daily variation is probably the difference.

I "think" I can see the top edge of the sight a bit better with the round, because there is a bit more blade vs paint. But again, it's probably individual eyes and preference because I really can't say I shoot them better when I score or work speed. The square set was the first ProGlo I bought, the round folllowed.

I've haven't found the need to swap them off the 2nd gen 19 that sees a LOT of carry.
    Thanks for the info. It helps a lot. Did you go with the standard height and width?
    Last edited by Lucus McCain; 08-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Did you go with the standard height and width?
    Standard height and width on the G26, 17 and 19. My 34 required a taller front, but that gun has always shot high with any factory equivalent sight, regardless of make.

User Tag List