Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reload Duds

If you are having 1 or 2 duds out of a couple hundred rounds, then you need to go back and check that you are feeding your press good components (garbage in=garbage out), that the press is adjusted properly, and most importantly, you as the operator are being smooth and consistent when operating the press.

Usually I can feel or hear when I make a bad round. If, during a reloading cycle, the press just doesn't seem like it should, I pause and take a look at what is going on...is it a high primer, a bad piece of brass, or a bullet issue? Try to fix the ammo before it makes it to the gun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Sounds like you're going too fast on the reloading bench.

Inspect the finished product so bad rounds don't make it into the range bag.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Case gauging every round that comes off of the press can save you a lot of headaches, whether you use a dedicated gauge or just the tightest barrel of any of the guns you intend to shoot the ammo in. In addition to saving the hassle and malfunctions caused by out of spec cases, it also makes sure you get a good view of the back end of each completed round, which ensures that you notice any that either didn't get primers or didn't get the primer fully seated. Sure, doing thorough QC takes time, but I'd rather spend extra time doing that than have to deal with malfunctions in competition or practice.

Last malfunction I had was-----------I don't remember............But I did see a friend's Glock malfunction twice last match, he blamed a bad magazine. Was using factory loads so he didn't blame ammo. Malfunctions are usually bad magazines or bad ammo, doesn't matter what gun your using. It's usually ammo or mags unless the gun has been modified in some way to make it "better". I did have a Taurus that would jam once out of 100 rounds just cause it wanted to. Could have been a bad magazine, I guess, I chalked it up to being a Taurus.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    When you shoot your reloads and there is an issue- do typically blame yourself or the pistol.
    Depends. You have to evaluate and see what's the issue.

The last issue I had was a k-frame not firing consistently. My LCR fired them fine. Upon inspection, the cartridges that weren't firing were all "Geco" brass. So, the issue wasn't me or the gun. The issue was brass with a slightly deeper primer pocket, just enough to get light strikes with the k-frame but not enough to bother my LCR.

User Tag List