Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Deer Hunting

Site Supporter
    Very different hunting in AZ: we do a lottery draw for tags for all big game, except you can get an over the counter archery deer tag. There are usually some leftover tags in less desireable/less productive areas and seasons. Archers aren't as reliably successful. My single AZ deer was taken at 300 yards.

I don't have time this year for the scouting and hunting during my normal Thanksgiving hunt due to graduate school, so I applied for the Christmas hunt that has very low draw odds - people can put in for that hunt for years and never get a tag. I didn't get one.

I'll be hunting dove and quail with my Brittany when I have time to get out doors and don't just go practice pistol skills.

I don't hunt deer, but we've got a decent crew showing up to the house daily. About 600m from the VA/NC line headed towards Greensboro. Here is one I happen t have handy on the phone.

Name:  MFDC0522.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  73.0 KB
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 08-26-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Nice buck. You going to have your young fella turn him into sausage and jerky this fall?

Deer season opened here on August 12v I've passed up legal bucks every time I've gone out. Haven't found anything I wanted to pull the trigger on yet, besides a couple bruisers that I always see at first light at 500+ yards. I shot one last year at 518, I just didn't feel good about the shot even though he was DRT. Good luck to everyone during there season.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice buck. You going to have your young fella turn him into sausage and jerky this fall?
    That's his Mom's job. I don't hunt deer, so I have nothing to do with the hunting stuff in our house, except as it pertains to ensuring the guns and gear are serviceable, and ready to go. But things are hectic with the move, and closing up shop on the day job, and everything else, so I'm not sure she will get any local hunting in this year. We're going to Montana in November for a guided Elk/Muley combo hunt, and she is giving the impression that trip will be plenty of hunting for her for 2017.

Depending on how he progresses in the coming 12-14 months, he might be in the lower tree stand next year. At four years old, he doesn't have much patience for tree stand PT just yet.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

That trip to Montana sounds very nice. I hope you fill your tags, and have a safe and memorable hunt.

Going up north and taking an elk is on my bucket list. They taste so delicious.

Was able to go out Friday night and Saturday morning. Took a field dressed 126lb buck ... ours aren't known for being large here.

2017 Deer Hunting

First night in the stand last night in NC.

"Hey kid, tell your mom and dad I need to talk to them for a sec"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punkey71; 09-30-2017 at 10:02 AM.

I got this buck a few weeks ago, in California A-zone. He was bedded down at 62 yards with his back to me, I shot him right behind the ear with a .270 Winchester with 130 TTSX.
    Name:  IMG_0188.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  32.6 KB

User Tag List