Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a truck gun? Or be a bunny?

Site Supporter

Why a truck gun? Or be a bunny?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/9-c...-7-truck-guns/

Basic points:

1. Have rifle to join in the fight if there is a major critical incident. Case in point, the Texas Tower and civilian rifle usage. If you don't join it - you are a bad person despite the risks. You couldn't live with yourself if you didn't join the fight.

As a psychologist - I don't know what that statement means. We can treat all kinds of psychological trauma nowadays. You can't live with being dead. Now the ethics of not joining in the fight are complex. Classic internet insult and flame fest. The line is a throw away posturing one in my opinion from a treatment point of view.

2. The Kel-tec SU-16 is a great truck gun. Perhaps, but I saw one crack in half at the start of curve of the pistol grip in a carbine class.

Kel-tecs are great.

For plinking cans in the backyard.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I saw that article come up on my email this morning and read this far "Well, I say, to each his own. If I need a rifle to solve a problem, I firmly believe in the old saying, “Better judged by twelve than carried by six.” Click here to read more" Needless to say, I didn't click after reading that.

Any mention of a truck gun rotation to go with the carry rotation?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Why a truck gun? Or be a bunny?

I'd rather have a lever action. But getting involved, long gun in hand, doesn't mean you're going to get to be a hero, automatically. I agree with Glenn...it's a weak thesis, filled with, "gun guy," cliches and silly bravado. Having a tactical menu, despite, "millions of dollars of training," that only contains the option for closing with the enemy and killing them isn't an algorithm...it's an edict. So the entire thing is a bit general for my taste and interests. COMPLETELY ASIDE from the value judgements that the thesis implies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 08-22-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Expounding after second reading of cited text

"The counter-argument to this given by many “professional” trainers is that in such a situation you should either hunker down or flee. If that is your mindset, please leave the rifle at home. Preferably next to your cardigan and pink fluffy slippers. I don’t know exactly what kind of man would flee the scene of a mass shooting if he had the means to stop it but that sounds like a coward to me."

So let's say that I were somehow caught in the midst of a mass shooting. I'm just an average Joe civilian. I'm not carrying a rifle on me, so that would mean I'd have to fight my way out of the mass shooting, then fight my way back in after retrieving said truck gun. Now there's a chance that I look like I'm in on the mass shooting depending upon who's perspective actually sees me.

Sorry, but in today's culture and political climate I can't justify risking social and professional suicide just because I might have the opportunity to be a hero. Also, there's a good chance I'll have my wife and/or kid with me, so now I have them to worry about as well. If my cardigan, pink fuzzy slippers, and lack of truck gun makes me a coward, then I guess I'm coward.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I'm trying to envision a scenario where a truck gun of any kind makes me safer against moose attacks.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah.... no thanks

My truck gun is usually a 10/22...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Someone's trying very hard to live his male fantasy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Not saying one hasn't been used or that it's not a good idea theory, but I'm still waiting for some "truck" gun self defense stories. As far as guns used by criminals, guns stolen from cars are probably second only to guns stolen from family members. Percentages will vary some by region, but lots of guns are stolen from cars. If we're going to invoke a "good conscience" argument, how heavily should it weigh on our conscience that the most realistic use of a truck gun is its eventual use to victimize innocent people?
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List