Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So you're a police officer...how has it changed you?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yes. This is also me sometimes. I burn all of my patience and longsuffering at work. When I'm off, I hold people on their jobs to the same standards I perform at on mine. When or if they fail, I am not the person I should be sometimes.
    I'm the same way, and have found that I have even less of a tolerance for BS, shenanigans and incompetence than I did prior. It is what it is, I guess.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I'm the same way, and have found that I have even less of a tolerance for BS, shenanigans and incompetence than I did prior. It is what it is, I guess.
    Just wait until you get a bit older more seasoned. (Don't ask me how I know.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I used to be nice. Not as much anymore, except with family. They are everything.

Unlike most of the officers I work with, I will not stand around and listen to the nonsense BS stories from complainants/suspects. I have no problem telling liars and exaggerators that they are liars and that I don't have time for their BS within moments of them starting that shit. I go through loops of motivation and dreading my department, but I love the work and the occasional thrill.

I used to support body cameras before becoming an officer. Now I despise them. They are never used to help my case, and have only been used in attempts to discredit my work. Prosecutors rarely watch the footage if you have it, and if for some reason the camera was non-functional, case is tossed. I want to ask them every week, how did the criminal justice system work before BWC's?

2 and a half years on in a 50 man department in a city of 80,000-120,000.

I've had plenty of bad calls and seen some messed up stuff....but honestly? It doesn't bother me. I mean it sucks and I've cried on scene before when I was doing CPR on a baby that looked just like my boy, but I cried and then I got over it. That's the second baby I've done CPR on. Both died. The first at least I was able to bring back long enough for the family to say good bye but the poor lil dude was brain dead. I'd like to think I at least helped them remember him better than this most recent one. There was no saving him.

I have no idea but I really am not bothered by the job. I think it's fun and lets me see the real world. Not that BS on TV. I'd rather do this than sit in an office and complain about how they aren't stocking the organic juice anymore and its only that off brand shite. But computer tech companies are weird.

I got into the career cause I wanted to help people. I always have. And I can say honestly that I have helped countless people in just these past two years. Plus I get to chase bad guys and shoot guns and drive fast.

If you wanna be a cop, go for it. Have fun and be safe. It is either your time or it's not, so relax and try to enjoy life. That doesn't mean don't carry a gun or TQ, but just try to breathe.

Hello, first post on this forum. Looks like a good place to be. I have a total of 28 years in LE ( 6 yrs Military Police, 5 yrs State Police and 18 years City Police). About half my time was spent as a Detective investigating child abuse and sex crimes. I became a cop because I had an idea that I could change things. Don't know how much anything changed. I've been retired for 11 years ans have very few friends who aren't cops or firefighters, I carry a gun at least in part because I feel lost without it and I look at all people with at least some suspicion and over the years have become somewhat of a curmudgeon.

User Tag List