Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SIG hits another ball out of the park...

My prediction is that these will sell like hotcakes once Taurus comes out with a Judge with 1913 rail on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnealtx View Post
    If all three platforms are already paid for - why would they be tempted when there's no advantage over the existing rifle or shotgun?
    The advantage is that once they sell or trade their carbines in they don't need to replace them, repair them, or buy ammunition for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GearScout View Post

If a department has 3 platforms, pistol, rifle, shotgun, and you can effectively remove one of those lines from a budget and replace it with a $300 housing, you'd be tempted. Granted handgun rounds are not as effective as rifle rounds, but cost savings can be a powerful motivator. Not a fair trade, but I'll bet this is the pitch we'll hear at Sigs booth next week.

Except that you aren't replacing any platform with this thing. You might get a little bit more in end use accuracy from the use of a stock and/org optic, but ballistically you are not getting anywhere near a rifle.

That $300 would be better spend buying a shotgun and used with slugs. It would be much better of buying a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 off of the used rack the LGS. At least then you would get some actual ballistic improvement.

A benefit of one of these in a law enforcement setting is the ability to buy one firearm and use it in several different roles.

Stop thinking like shooters and think like bean counters in a small town PD.

The best use for these wouldn't be the quick change scenario. As many have pointed out, building a gun like this under pressure is not going to fly.

Just leave a handful of pistols installed and dedicated to these carbine housings. This offers an option that a rack of ARs doesn't. Instead of spending $1200-1500 on dedicated carbines that will live in a rack, a department can replace them with a less expensive pistols that can be removed from the housing and rotated through different roles should the need arise. The departments won't have rifle rounds, but they will gain increases in versatility and accuracy thanks to rails and stocks.

Also consider the cost savings when a PD has near 100% parts commonality between pistols and carbines; they don't have to stock spare AR parts or send an armorer to another school.

If a department has 3 platforms, pistol, rifle, shotgun, and you can effectively remove one of those lines from a budget and replace it with a $300 housing, you'd be tempted. Granted handgun rounds are not as effective as rifle rounds, but cost savings can be a powerful motivator. Not a fair trade, but I'll bet this is the pitch we'll hear at Sigs booth next week.
    Sorry brother, I have run a department program and had to deal with budget and training issues, along with being the guy that fixed all of the broke stuff. IMHO Your ideas are theoretical at best.

IMHO this doo-hickey serves no purpose but to make the manufacturer money and get mall ninjas all excited.

Street coppers are FAR better served by a beat up Remington 870.

But it's not just a matter of buying a $300 housing. The pics I saw showed NO iron sights on the housing. At the very least your looking at $100+ on a good set of sights. More when you consider adding a tritium front sight. OR, you spend an additional $400+ on a GOOD RDS.

I'm guessing their mid model w their RDS and sling will run closer to $500 and their LE model even more than that. I just don't see the sense in this.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    But it's not just a matter of buying a $300 housing. The pics I saw showed NO iron sights on the housing. At the very least your looking at $100+ on a good set of sights. More when you consider adding a tritium front sight. OR, you spend an additional $400+ on a GOOD RDS.

I'm guessing their mid model w their RDS and sling will run closer to $500 and their LE model even more than that. I just don't see the sense in this.
    Let say we want to buy 10 for a smaller department. Not one for every officer on shift, but enough that if an active shooter scenario ensues we will have at least one in the hasty stack that clears the Middle school.

Okay, so lets say the price is $500 for a fully equipped SIG ACP, an awesome introductory price for an ACP with a wire stock, tac sling and decent RDS. Add in the cost of having to purchase some new Glocks to go with it since it'll be its own standalone weapon, which for a smaller department would be somewhere around $320 or more. We're talking $820, and I think that's cutting it on the cheap side.

Cost of a Mossberg 500? $298 on the civilian market. Not sure if there's much wiggle room in there for a LE agency discount on buying 10 of them.

Hmm....whatever shall we do with the extra $5200+? Maybe buy 10 more shotguns? Or how about bring in an instructor for a shotgun course? Or maybe buy 4 carbine's to go along with the shotguns?

hmm. Yeah.....doesn't seem make much fiscal sense.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Sorry brother, I have run a department program and had to deal with budget and training issues, along with being the guy that fixed all of the broke stuff. IMHO Your ideas are theoretical at best.

IMHO this doo-hickey serves no purpose but to make the manufacturer money and get mall ninjas all excited.

Street coppers are FAR better served by a beat up Remington 870.

Ditto and amen.

I had this strange thought that if SIG decided they wanted to advertise by featuring the ACP units on an episode of Top Shot, say in a team challenge, where the shooters have to assemble the various units, it would probably make some competitor's heads explode.

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    My prediction is that these will sell like hotcakes once Taurus comes out with a Judge with 1913 rail on it.
    Don't kill the messenger...

Every time I see this thread, I think "SLG joined a softball team!"
    #RESIST

User Tag List