Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG hits another ball out of the park...

Site Supporter
    I realize that it's probably not supposed to spend a lot of time hanging from a sling, but a "long gun," especially one with a barrel so short that it is more difficult to control muzzle direction, seems like a bad idea without a mechanical safety.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    To me, based on what little we know so far, all you get with this product is a housing that has some (lots of) rails on it, attaches to the pistol via the light rail on the pistol's dust cover and part of the beavertail, can have a wire stock on it(great cheek weld) and still uses the pistol's short barrel, stock trigger and mag capacity.

Would you be willing to try to make a 25 yard headshot on someone holding your wife or kids after you hastily assembled this device?
    Gringop
    That's the wrong question, IMO: If I have to make a low % shot am I more likely to be able to make it with the pistol on it's own, or with the pistol snapped inside the chassis? I doubt this product was intended to be used for 25 yard hostage-taker shots.

If you have your typical LE responder they're probably more likely to be able to put rounds on target with the chassis than without it...and that's what I see as the point. If somebody has to go into something like an active shooter response armed with a pistol (because, again, patrol rifles and long guns in general are not universally available in the field and as such are next to useless when the excrement hits the fan) does it make sense to add capability to the weapon they will actually have at the scene?

I can see circumstances where it would. It might not be good enough to let me make head shots with confidence at 25 yards, but it might be good enough to ensure that the average patrol officer can easily put rounds into a bad guy's chest under extreme stress at closer ranges where he/she may struggle to get effective accuracy from just a pistol. It's not about best, it's about being better than the alternative.

The MP5 isn't the best PDW in the world, but if I had to put a bad guy down I'd much rather be armed with an MP5 than with a Glock 17.

Will the police or whoever decides to get one of these lug it around on a belt? I doubt it. They already carry enough stuff. So wheres it gonna be? In the sqaudcar right. Probably. Right next to the carbine. Why would you grab some chassis thing when the rifles right there? I just dont see the point of this thing other than wasting money on more junk put out by Sig lately. Of course OMMV but, I'll pass.

Just watched the video, showing how to assemble it. I would just as soon detail strip a 1911, and reassemble, as install this thing. Can't imagine anyone stopping in the middle of a fight to assemble this.

If you feel like a RDS is a good thing, there is an answer for that -- put the RMR on your primary handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by P30shtr View Post
    Will the police or whoever decides to get one of these lug it around on a belt? I doubt it. They already carry enough stuff. So wheres it gonna be? In the squadcar right. Probably. Right next to the carbine. Why would you grab some chassis thing when the rifles right there? I just dont see the point of this thing other than wasting money on more junk put out by Sig lately. Of course OMMV but, I'll pass.
    I hadn't thought of the carbine in the squad car. Makes perfect sense. This seems to be an answer in search of a question.
    #RESIST

Will the police or whoever decides to get one of these lug it around on a belt? I doubt it. They already carry enough stuff. So wheres it gonna be? In the sqaudcar right. Probably. Right next to the carbine. Why would you grab some chassis thing when the rifles right there? I just dont see the point of this thing other than wasting money on more junk put out by Sig lately. Of course OMMV but, I'll pass.
    You beat me to it. Darn near every dept in my AO has rifles in the car. Those that don't have shotguns. Some have both. I'd take either over this.

My other concern is the reliability of the zero on a RDS mounted on this POS. I would not trust a RDS mounted to this to return to zero.

Personally I think Sig is trying to make up the money they are losing in .gov sales by marketing crap like this to all the Sig fanboys out there. They will buy this to mount on their MK 25 and use Sigs red dot on top.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I can't see any practical purpose for this. Sure, it makes a pistol more effective, but that doesn't make it useful. Like already mentioned, if you're reaching for this you'll most likely have the ability to reach for a shotgun, true SMG or carbine. If you're on a PD that can't afford to put those in a car, then I highly doubt they're going to be spending money on this.

Historically, pistol-carbines have failed to do anything useful and those organizations that did adopt them have moved away from them. Luger, Mauser C96, HK VP70M....there's usually a better option than a pistol with a stock, even if a pistol with a stock is a better option than a bare pistol. By putting a stock on a pistol, you're taking the pistol out of it's area of usefulness and into a different arena of use, where there's infinitely better options.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't find this half as offensive as some of the bone-head finishes and shiny bullshit bling that SIG has used as a marketing tool lately.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I will reserve judgement until NutNFancy or Hickock45 have spoken.
    or atleast five "table top" reviews with shitty audio, heavy metal in the background and all starting with the line "hello Youtube people, this is JoeTacitcal here with the review of the...."
    I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family. - Homer Simpson

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Probably. Right next to the carbine.
    ...except I can type out a long list of departments that don't have carbines in the cruisers of every officer or even of any officer. In a lot of departments the carbines are locked in an armory and cannot be taken out on the road by policy without some sort of defcon 3 status being enacted by a senior commander. Active shooters tend to be severely impolite and refuse to inform the police of their evil intentions ahead of time.

Thus the stupid pistol chassis thing in the trunk beats the much more effective carbine that you can't have...and that's probably not been cleaned since last qual day...and that the optic doesn't work on...etc.

Is that how things should be? Hell no. That is, unfortunately, how things are in some places.

User Tag List