Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG hits another ball out of the park...

SIG hits another ball out of the park...

"A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

WTF!!

That is the dumbest thing they've done yet.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I do love my SIG pistols, but crap like that makes me long for the late 1980's when they only had 4 models in the line up.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It appears to be a way to turn a sidearm into an MP5 type of weapon. While it's not ideal for all situations, there are certainly times when adding a red dot and a shoulder mount to a pistol would make a difference for the person who has to use the weapon. Patrol carbines are not universal and often when bad things happen police are stuck dealing with it using only a pistol...a pistol they usually haven't been well trained on and don't have much skill with. If in a few simple steps they could add a shoulder mount and a red dot sight they are likely to be much more effective.

Think with me for a moment: Suppose we transport you back in time to North Hollywood and you're hunkered down behind a police cruiser with a couple of uparmored AK wielding maniacs on the loose. In that moment if you had the ability to snap your sidearm into a chassis that added a decently zeroed red dot and a reasonably useful shoulder stock, would you take advantage of it? I sure would. I mean, I'm okay with a pistol and probably better with one than most coppers on the beat, but if I was stuck trying to make a head shot on a dude with a rifle and body armor I'd take every advantage I could get.

Unfortunately in most situations where such an upgrade might come in handy, there typically isn't an abundance of time in which you can assemble the thing.

I have no idea if this product was developed at the request of a LE/.mil agency, or if Sig Inc. saw a niche market for such a device based on conversations with those types of agencies...but I can see where that could be the genesis of such a device.

TCinVA, you make some very good points I didn't think about, perhaps some of the silly things to come out of Exeter over the past few years have led me to be skeptical of many of their new products without giving them a more critical look. Time will tell.

I will reserve judgement until NutNFancy or Hickock45 have spoken.

/sarcasm

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshark View Post
    TCinVA, you make some very good points I didn't think about, perhaps some of the silly things to come out of Exeter over the past few years have led me to be skeptical of many of their new products without giving them a more critical look. Time will tell.
    Since it isn't rainbow finished or faux-diamond plating I figured that perhaps there's a chance...albeit a fairly small one...that it is meant to solve an actual problem and does not just exist as yet another ridiculous product for people with more money than sense.

We are diminished
    When I first saw it this morning, my gut reactions was: STOOPID!

But as I went to post on my site about how stupid it was, I started thinking about it and really... is it stupid? It's certainly different and dramatically fails in effectiveness compared to, say, a well put together shotgun or carbine. But it gives you a lot of things that otherwise would require tax stamps and other complications. It's very short, low recoil, and accepts an optic. It is, like TC wrote, very MP-5'ish. The most glaring flaw I see is that it appears there's nowhere practical to mount a light. I think we're well past the point of accepting long guns without lights for any serious purpose these days.

I'm genuinely interested to see one of these at SHOT and play with it. And kudos to SIG, in all fairness, for making it something that is not gun- or even brand-specific.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Think with me for a moment: Suppose we transport you back in time to North Hollywood and you're hunkered down behind a police cruiser with a couple of uparmored AK wielding maniacs on the loose. In that moment if you had the ability to snap your sidearm into a chassis that added a decently zeroed red dot and a reasonably useful shoulder stock, would you take advantage of it? I sure would. I mean, I'm okay with a pistol and probably better with one than most coppers on the beat, but if I was stuck trying to make a head shot on a dude with a rifle and body armor I'd take every advantage I could get.
    To me, based on what little we know so far, all you get with this product is a housing that has some (lots of) rails on it, attaches to the pistol via the light rail on the pistol's dust cover and part of the beavertail, can have a wire stock on it(great cheek weld) and still uses the pistol's short barrel, stock trigger and mag capacity.

Would you be willing to try to make a 25 yard headshot on someone holding your wife or kids after you hastily assembled this device?

Didn't some Israeli company bring out something similar last year?

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    But it gives you a lot of things that otherwise would require tax stamps and other complications.
    From the link

"Of course, the ACP with stock will make your pistol an NFA gun, so it isn’t for everybody but I could see its use as a PDW with LE and security contractors in certain situations"

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List