Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightstand gun advice

After a bit more reading, I'm thinking X300U-B. If it's too bright indoors I'll try a diffuser - Thanks oldtexan for that tip. Big Tex Outdoors has the X300U-A or B for $205. Really tempted.....

Any strong opinions on which night sights? Like I said, I'm fine with the standard Sig Lites if it doesn't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    After a bit more reading, I'm thinking X300U-B. If it's too bright indoors I'll try a diffuser - Thanks oldtexan for that tip. Big Tex Outdoors has the X300U-A or B for $205. Really tempted.....

Any strong opinions on which night sights? Like I said, I'm fine with the standard Sig Lites if it doesn't matter much.
    Mini thread drift (but not a joke [emoji6])

Is there a coupon code for Big Tex? Seeing $269, will gladly grab a second one for $205.

Back on topic, I've done the 0300 walk around the house. At this point I leave enough low level ambient light on at night to be able to identify threats and see my sights (gotta love led lights). I have a WML also, but in my house that will not need to come on until pistol comes up from low ready for final threat identification. Also keep a hand held light near by also. Leaving in a coastal hurricane zone, even if someone is nefarious enough to cut the main power my ambient lighting will stay on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, sorry the coupon code is "Surefire64" from this article:

https://bigtexoutdoors.com/blogs/new...e-x300u-a-vs-b

Still works.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    In a house I personally like a light at/under ~400 lumens and above 200 lumens. The new Inforce APL Gen 3 seems like a pretty solid option so far. Cheap, 400 lumens and has the best switches on the market IMO. Throw on some new night sights and be done.

I'd also strongly consider converting it to 9mm. More boolits is never a bad thing. 18 round or 20 round Mec-Gar's would be my choice.
    Why do you prefer no more than 400 lumens?

I'm genuinely curious because I've been going through this debate with my own nightstand set up and I am toying with the idea of going to even more light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I'm personally really fond of the Sig Xray sights they put on the Legion guns. I would go with those. And I *THINK* you even have the option of sending the slide in so they can install them if you don't wanna do it yourself, but you'd have to check on that.

I would recommend only the Trijicon HD's, the various Ameriglos and even the Sig X-Rays now that Balisong reminded me about those. All three of those choices all offer a high contrast front sight along with potentially 3 individual tritium dots. For now, I would recommend getting your front sight painted orange with something like nail polish. I should do this with my trade-in P226R that has Trijicon Bright and Toughs.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...ty-front-sight

My opinion; put your funds into a good quality WML with the money you save from not buying a new set of night sights.
    Last edited by Olim9; 08-22-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Why do you prefer no more than 400 lumens?

I'm genuinely curious because I've been going through this debate with my own nightstand set up and I am toying with the idea of going to even more light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Key part of that is inside a house, specifically *my* house, where my longest hallway is ~5Y and longest room is ~7Y. Walls are white and when using my 800 lumen TLR-1HL indoors I get severe glare off my white walls and doors. It's pretty distracting. And this is while I'm 100% awake and aware of what I'm doing. My 400 lumen APL is plenty bright for my house and isn't distracting or partially blinding.

If we're outdoors exclusively and I have a light mounted on a rifle or handgun, I want all the lumens I can get. Which is usually TLR-1 HLs on my pistols and long guns.
    Shoot more, post less...

Honestly if you're good with SigLites, those would work just fine. If you're down for a change...well...there's options a plenty. It's all fairly subjective really. If something looks interesting, go nuts. If not, SIGLites will serve you fine.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I keep a Glock 34 with an X300U and 10-8 sights, fiber optic front, black rear. I keep it in my closet, on the highest shelf so it's out of reach of the kids. It's only there at night, goes back in the safe before everyone wakes up.

I keep a Surefire P3X 15/1000 lumen handheld in the nightstand. I use the 15 to check out any bump in the night type stuff because my eyes are acclimated to the dark and it's plenty.

I sleep so hard I don't know how much good the pistol would do me. If my wife didn't wake me up I'd likely sleep through my bed being stolen.

Site Supporter
    Glock 19 with factory night sights. Before my B92 Brigadier lights dimmed, I used it. Very close by are an AR and 870.

User Tag List