Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightstand gun advice

Nightstand gun advice

For years I've used a ~2009 P226 as my nightstand gun. The STL-900L that came with it fell apart around 1000 rounds and the tritium sites are nearing half-life so it's time to re-evaluate. I'm looking for guidance on what makes a good nightstand gun. Is there any such thing as a nightstand guide?

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Is there any such thing as a nightstand gun?
    I believe Agent 86 was working on a nightstand gun that would discharge when you stub your toe on it...
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-22-2017 at 12:44 AM.

226 is good. For a nightstand gun I personally believe in a gun with high capacity OEM mag capability. Since you're not concealing it, and I can see a slight bit of more possibility of needing more rounds than in a CCW encounter I'd go with the mecgar 20 rounders for your 226 (for my Glock 35 I go with the OEM 22 rounder, or a 33 round for a Glock 9mm). Plenty of night sights on the market for the 226, almost too many to decide what you like best. For a light I go with the Surefire x300 series or streamlight TLR1 series. You can get about any lumen you want with those. I like the TLR1HL 800 lumen for a night hiking gun, but for a woken up in the middle of the night in my house gun I like the ones in the 400-600 range just fine. I don't remember the specific surefire and streamlight models/lumen options available but you get the idea.

If I needed a WML on my nightstand pistol, I would go for a TLR-1 HL or X300U. I had to google what an STL-900L was and there were some iffy things I've read about it right off the bat so forgive me if my negative thoughts on it are out of ignorance and misinformation. I would recommend a more reputable, durable and user friendly WML that has more candella like a Surefire X300U or Streamlight TLR-1 HL if you're more on a budget. As for the gun itself, a full-size service pistol like the P226 is a good choice for a nightstand pistol, nothing wrong on the gun selection. I used to keep my P226 by my bed with a Mecgar 18rd magazine loaded with 124gr Gold Dots before I got into Glocks.

What do you exactly have in mind re-evaluating if I may ask?
    Last edited by Olim9; 08-22-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I slapped a G17G4 with Ameriglo CAPs and a TLR-1HL and one reload on my nightstand.

Since with even a minute or two of warning I'll be going to the closet for some 5.56x45 medicine, that strikes me as plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    226 is good. For a nightstand gun I personally believe in a gun with high capacity OEM mag capability. Since you're not concealing it, and I can see a slight bit of more possibility of needing more rounds than in a CCW encounter I'd go with the mecgar 20 rounders for your 226 (for my Glock 35 I go with the OEM 22 rounder, or a 33 round for a Glock 9mm). Plenty of night sights on the market for the 226, almost too many to decide what you like best. For a light I go with the Surefire x300 series or streamlight TLR1 series. You can get about any lumen you want with those. I like the TLR1HL 800 lumen for a night hiking gun, but for a woken up in the middle of the night in my house gun I like the ones in the 400-600 range just fine. I don't remember the specific surefire and streamlight models/lumen options available but you get the idea.
    Thanks, Balisong!

For mags I'll probably stick with stock (12x.357) for now because I trust them, but you make a good point about capacity since it's not a carry gun.
    I'll consider vetting higher cap mags. The X300 and TLR1/TLR2 are top on my list but I've read they don't mount well on the SIG "rounded rails".

A nightstand gun to me should be as others stated. Full size with plenty of ammo on board. Easy to shoot and good sights. Itnshould have a weapon mounted light IMO - though you need a hand held light nearby as well.
    I went XL with mine. Lol!
    Last edited by El Cid; 08-22-2017 at 07:04 AM.

If the P226 is working for you I'd just install fresh sights of your choosing and go for a brighter and more robust WML. If possible, find mags that hold more rounds.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Thanks, Balisong!

For mags I'll probably stick with stock (12x.357) for now because I trust them, but you make a good point about capacity since it's not a carry gun.
    I'll consider vetting higher cap mags. The X300 and TLR1/TLR2 are top on my list but I've read they don't mount well on the SIG "rounded rails".
    I have no problems with the X300/X300U or Inforce APL on my rounded Sig Rails when using the Glock or Universal insert.

Mec Gar should make some 15 & 18 round mags for your 357 Sig.

If you're happy with your OEM night sights, you can find plenty of freshly removed Sig Lites on eBay from people pulling them off their P320s for fractions of the cost of a new set.

I agree with what has been said so far. I like a high capacity pistol with a known quality weapon light. I prefer to have night sights also.

I also like the idea of a hand held light in addition to a weapon light. Streetlight makes a small 1 cell CR123 light called the Pro Tac something or other. There are times when you want to ID something with a light, but may not want to point your pistol in that direction to do so.

I keep my cell phone on the night stand when I sleep. Same night stand that has my night stand pistol in it.

User Tag List