Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun magazine tube light mount

I'd like to ask this question of the old school true shotgun guys (Dagga, Givens, Legendary Lawman Chuck Haggard)... is it better to have the light mounted on the tube/barrel or mounted to the slide/forend on a pump gun.

I have tried both and have an opinion, but I will admit my pump action shotgun knowledge is at it's twilight stages. Maybe I'm just a moron/pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    That's my worry with some of these mounts, will they hold up under recoil? I put a little electrical tape under the magazine clamp on my Remington 870 to protect the finish, but I think it added some friction and I have not had any sliding of the clamp under recoil.
    I know people who have had polymer surefire lights walk on 5.56 carbines, I definitely would use tape to add friction as you can't clamp a tube hard at all, especially if you want it to reliably pass shells through it...

These are excellent - http://www.cdmgear.com/

I use the BMT mount with 3 slot rail in combination with a Vltor light mount. Both pieces together cost a C-note (about twice as much as the CDM MOD-C mount) but allows fast and tool less removal/swapping of lights. The CDM mounts come with 3M polyurethane grip pads to protect the SG's finish and prevent slip under recoil. I use one layer of electrical tape on the inner bearing surfaces of the Vltor mount to better grip the light.

Last edited by NH Shooter; 08-23-2017 at 05:55 PM.

How has the Malkoff flashlight held up to recoil?

I don't own that setup, but I've known Gene for a decade, and how his work is done. They are fully potted. All the wiring and guts are encased in epoxy, and the led soldering is g2g. The only possible issue you could have is a driver or led going poof. That is absolutely unpreventable, and caused not by recoil. It happens usually in the first 2 to 3 battery sets, or never.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 08-23-2017 at 08:59 PM.

I would speculate that Malkoff lights are perhaps the most indestructible available. Their build is even more robust than SF lights.

So I guess I'll try my luck with the CDM stuff. More than I was looking to spend, but whatever the fuck ever. She can file for divorce and get half of the mount I buy.

Now to play the guessing game of "which one do I think will fit my gun?".......
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 08-26-2017 at 06:18 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Now to play the guessing game of "which one do I think will fit my gun?".......
    I may have missed it, but what SG are you using? The clamping action of the CDM mount looks like it leaves some leeway in barrel and mag tube diameter. If you need them, I can take some measurements on my 1187 barrel and Choate mag extension, which the mount fits perfectly...

Win SX2 or SX3
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Win SX2 or SX3
    Not sure, but here are the critical dimensions from my set up;

Barrel diameter = .885"
    Mag diameter = .995"
    Gap between top of mag and bottom of barrel = .263"
    Barrel to magazine, center-to-center spacing = 1.203"

I'm thinking the last dimension listed above (barrel-to-magazine C-C) is the most critical.

User Tag List