Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun magazine tube light mount

Shotgun magazine tube light mount

What light mounts are people using for mounting a handheld light to the mag tube? I'm not looking for bulletproof or Ninja level shit...... just something that will hold a flashlight for a few rounds in the event I feel the urge to throw buckshot at critters in the yard after dark.

Also open to mounts with a Pic rail for mounting a vis laser for use with NODs.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    What light mounts are people using for mounting a handheld light to the mag tube? I'm not looking for bulletproof or Ninja level shit...... just something that will hold a flashlight for a few rounds in the event I feel the urge to throw buckshot at critters in the yard after dark.

Also open to mounts with a Pic rail for mounting a vis laser for use with NODs.

If you use a Nordic extension, they make a clamp that will hold a bit of pic rail for a light.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Also curious. I've had thoughts of picking up a used Mossberg 500 that's Williams has had in their rack for months now on the cheap. Would be a nice base setup for HD.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Unnamed clamp like this http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...226-49412.aspx with an old style Surefire, angled down on the left side of the barrel so I can I hit the switch with my thumb. Definitely not ninja or bulletproof, but solid enough to run the mag tube empty.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    These Laserlyte tri-rail mounts have worked for me as an easy solution for casual use. With blue loctite, it's held tight for at least a few hundred rounds.

Link shows as no longer available from Midway, but somebody somewhere probably has them in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...-shotgun-matte

I haven't seen one in person, but this is the one I've been thinking I'll try if I need to put a light on a shotgun.

http://roschworks.com/site/mobile?ur...2FTM1.php#2837

I am interested in this topic, too. I am trying to decide if it's worth upgrading an old laser products forend light. It is momentary only and does not lock on. The Nordic looks the best so far, but it might depend on the shotgun and magazine tube size to fit correctly. CDM Gear makes mounts, too, but the single screw holding it makes me a little leary.
    Last edited by DamonL; 08-21-2017 at 04:29 PM.

What about the Elzetta mounts?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What about the Elzetta mounts?
    I've got one. I've got a light on one side and the front sling attachment on the other side. It's kind of bulky, but low weight. Finding proper tension to the mounting screws is an issue. If I crank it tight to the point where it doesn't move, it starts to interfere with the followers movement in the magazine tube (Remington brand extension). Any looser, and it starts to slide forward during recoil. That is really annoying and a real problem. Additionally, disassembly of the firearm just got a lot more complicated since I need two different sizes of Allen wrenches to do so, and I need to keep track of an increased number of small parts while the gun is disassembled. Fortunately I do not disassemble my shotgun all that often, so my latter gripe is more of a matter of principle than an actual problem.

Since the Remington magazine extension has a groove in it, what I did to solve the situation is wrap one of those hair band thingies (like a cloth-wrapped rubber band) tightly around the groove. (I tried to find a proper sized silicone o-ring first, but you would not believe how difficult that became.) Now when the mount slides forward during recoil it bumps into the hair band thingy. Thus far that seems to have solved the situation, although I haven't shot a large amount of rounds through the shotgun since coming up with my "fix". (One of these days, I might put a length of shrink tube on the magazine extension as a more permanent fix, but that's dependent on finding big enough diameter shrink tube. Preferably from my garage, so I don't have to buy any more of the stuff. I already have loads of the stuff, just never the right kind of the job at hand...)

That's my worry with some of these mounts, will they hold up under recoil? I put a little electrical tape under the magazine clamp on my Remington 870 to protect the finish, but I think it added some friction and I have not had any sliding of the clamp under recoil.
    Last edited by DamonL; 08-21-2017 at 09:02 PM.

User Tag List