Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built a Space Gun (or metal framed Glocks are really cool)

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    As someone who had two of the CCF Raceframes built into pistols and a spare frame, including a full-house pistol from Robar, be very careful with the barrel fit. CCF tried to make the guns more accurate by "slightly over-sizing" the locking block of the frame. Thus, aftermarket barrels that do the same thing by being slightly over-sized on the camming surfaces end up stressing the locking block in the frame.
    You'll noticed I addressed that above. I got recommendations for a couple brands that work with the raceframe. However, those brands increased locking on the hood instead of the block. The ATOM tightens the hood which can cause issues with those bbls.

So I chose to take the easy route and use an OEM bbl. I had considered buying and having a G34 bbl cut, but that then results in other issues. The best and easiest option was to find an OEM threaded bbl which is the route I chose.

Unlike a Glock OEM frame, the locking block is an integral part of the CCF frame and cannot be replaced. Lots of people have sheared the CCF locking block, even with Glock OEM barrels. It appears that CCF did not do a great job with the tolerance loop analysis.
    The Steel frame has the locking block epoxied into the frame. The aluminum frame (which is what I'm using) is removable.

CCF also recommended running a "recoil buff" on the guide rod that helped with metal-to-metal contact between frame and slide. I would also look for burrs from metal peening on the locking block surfaces of the frame and slide (barrel camming).

Here is what I wrote back in 2011: Glock CCF Frame
    I could barely rack the slide, much less even lock the slide back using the shock-buffer. Through the first 400 rds I kept tearing the gun down to look for any damage and there wasn't any. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but the comp slows down unlocking and slide velocity, which seems to be resulting in less possibility of damaging the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Damn that's a lot of work, and I'm so lazy I barely could read all that lol. End result is sweet though, thanks for sharing.
    Yeah, with all that's going on in it I was very happy it ran "out of the box".

Total for everything, including the x300ub, RMR, holster, mag extensions came to ~$2.1K. There was a couple free parts and I bought almost everything (barely) used.
    Even if I had spent full price on everything it would under $3K.

Seeing companies selling $2-3k Glocks still using plastic frames is a bit weird. I know it's probably more of an emotional reaction, but seeing a $3k Agency NOC that's built on a $75 piece of plastic is a bit underwhelming. Same with Wilson getting into building premium Glocks. and scratching a sunburst into plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    You'll noticed I addressed that above. I got recommendations for a couple brands that work with the raceframe. However, those brands increased locking on the hood instead of the block. The ATOM tightens the hood which can cause issues with those bbls.

So I chose to take the easy route and use an OEM bbl. I had considered buying and having a G34 bbl cut, but that then results in other issues. The best and easiest option was to find an OEM threaded bbl which is the route I chose.

The Steel frame has the locking block epoxied into the frame. The aluminum frame (which is what I'm using) is removable.

I could barely rack the slide, much less even lock the slide back using the shock-buffer. Through the first 400 rds I kept tearing the gun down to look for any damage and there wasn't any. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but the comp slows down unlocking and slide velocity, which seems to be resulting in less possibility of damaging the frame.
    Yes, the alloy frame locking block pins can be removed, but there are no replacement locking blocks for the alloy frames. Glock OEM locking blocks do not fit.

Yeah, with all that's going on in it I was very happy it ran "out of the box".

Total for everything, including the x300ub, RMR, holster, mag extensions came to ~$2.1K. There was a couple free parts and I bought almost everything (barely) used.
    Even if I had spent full price on everything it would under $3K.

Seeing companies selling $2-3k Glocks still using plastic frames is a bit weird. I know it's probably more of an emotional reaction, but seeing a $3k Agency NOC that's built on a $75 piece of plastic is a bit underwhelming. Same with Wilson getting into building premium Glocks. and scratching a sunburst into plastic.
    I think "custom house Glocks" are silly at basically all price points, you can do the mods that would give you the same functionality on your own for a third the price of those companies most of the time

I also don't think Glocks are really in need of metal frames, the plastic works pretty well and at least to me it feels like it eats up the recoil quite a bit in addition to saving weight where it can be saved

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I think "custom house Glocks" are silly at basically all price points, you can do the mods that would give you the same functionality on your own for a third the price of those companies most of the time

I also don't think Glocks are really in need of metal frames, the plastic works pretty well and at least to me it feels like it eats up the recoil quite a bit in addition to saving weight where it can be saved
    There's nothing "need" about any of it.

I've been issued M9s and worked for and been issued SIGs, so I have some love for metal framed guns. But I recognize that it's hard a necessity.

There's nothing "need" about any of it.

I've been issued M9s and worked for and been issued SIGs, so I have some love for metal framed guns. But I recognize that it's hard a necessity.
    I wasn't trying to argue against the build, I think it is unique and cool

I do not like the idea that companies can sell Glocks for over $2000 though

Cool.

Jager makes plastic guide rods that work with Wolff or ISMI springs if you want to play with springs.

Or pop the cap off the Glock guide rod and it can use ISMI, I think.

Thank you. I couldn't find any aftermarket plastic guide rods. I also couldn't find any sources for OEM guiderods without springs.
    Last edited by tcba_joe; 08-22-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Thank you. I couldn't find any aftermarket plastic guide rods. I also couldn't find any sources for OEM guiderods without springs.
    Jager even has captive polymer ones

User Tag List