Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Judging People by their Political Views

My wife and I try not to get into political discussions with other people, unless we're confident it can be a rational, fruitful discussion. Our views are roughly in the same zip code and generally place us in "small-L" libertarian territory.

There are some people that we just don't talk to any more, because they've gone so far off a deep end (most of them off the left side) that you just can't deal with them. And most of them (we assume, from knowing them before) are not stupid people, which makes that all the more puzzling.

Also, my wife especially avoids talking politics with a lot of people, because large portions of her social and quasi-professional relationships would be shocked, appalled, and essentially horrified that someone they know and like would fall outside the party lines. Apparently in many social/demographic groups, there is a lot of pressure to conform and toe the party line, and no dissent is tolerated. Anyone who doesn't either keeps it very quiet, or is largely ostracized.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd rather associate with people who disagree with me thoughtfully and with a measure of respect than with people who agree with me shrilly and who are dismissive of other points of view.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Apparently in many social/demographic groups, there is a lot of pressure to conform and toe the party line, and no dissent is tolerated. Anyone who doesn't either keeps it very quiet, or is largely ostracized.
    This is how I would describe most political conversations on gun forums (with "the party line" often being very capital R Republican). This forum (sometimes) is an exception to that rule, but far less often than I'd like to see.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-21-2017 at 06:36 AM.

I pretty much can't stand any of the general political slant to everything anymore. I'm more likely to simply cut out anyone that can't shut up about it, regardless of the side.

I do find, however, that as the divide grows it becomes evermore difficult to even passively engage with people on the left in particular. Even the most boring of topics wind up down some path whereby their leanings come out and I can't take it anymore.

I do find, however, that my refusal to keep up with any political news or current events of any sort means I get along famously with others that do the same. It seems to be only those that can't stay away from the "24 hour news cycle" that can't fucking shut up about it for ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I pretty much can't stand any of the general political slant to everything anymore. I'm more likely to simply cut out anyone that can't shut up about it, regardless of the side.

I do find, however, that as the divide grows it becomes evermore difficult to even passively engage with people on the left in particular. Even the most boring of topics wind up down some path whereby their leanings come out and I can't take it anymore.

I do find, however, that my refusal to keep up with any political news or current events of any sort means I get along famously with others that do the same. It seems to be only those that can't stay away from the "24 hour news cycle" that can't fucking shut up about it for ten minutes.
    Well put. I have some friends that are hardcore conspiracy theory types, and for a time I was hitting some of these sites daily. I found myself getting angry all the time and becoming myopic in view point. Since not frequenting those sites, keeping those friends at a bit of a distance and just keeping light tabs on news, I'm happier and engage people with a lighthearted manner.

To the OP's question, I grew up and still live in a very diverse part of the country (northeast NJ). While bad for gun laws/rights, the upside is one gets to interact daily with people from just about everywhere (and food, really good food from all walks of life). NJ is known to be a blue state, yet, just about everyone I have ever met here is some kind of combination of red/blue. I have a full spectrum of friends with different political views, skin colors, sexual orientations, etc. All these people are a mix of things that are outside the window of the purity of one side or the other. It's rare I meet someone that is a dogmatic member of either stripe. The dogmatic types of either side are the ones I stay away from. Just about anyone else, regardless of their leanings, can be engaged in conversation that while, yes it can get heated, doesn't wind up deteriorating the friendship. As it pertains to a significant other, it wouldn't be about how they lean politically, but how militant in their views they are....regardless of side. I can get along with just about anyone, but the extremists turn me off in a big way.

As gun owners, if we only associate with those of like minded political views we can pretty much kiss our rights under the 2nd Ammendment goodbye.

I have friends that are on all sides of the political map. I want to repair the divide that exists in our country, not contribute to it by shunning someone with different views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Interesting things happen when you do that......

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861...up-their-robes
    I believe guns are a similar gateway. Get a nanny stater interested in shooting and it'll seriously mess with their paradigms.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    As gun owners, if we only associate with those of like minded political views we can pretty much kiss our rights under the 2nd Ammendment goodbye.

I have friends that are on all sides of the political map. I want to repair the divide that exists in our country, not contribute to it by shunning someone with different views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I agree, this is definitely easier said than done. Most anti-gun folks are not only emotionally invested in their stance, they also believe those are for firearms are some of the worst people ever. Of course I work in a left wing shit hole and that's what decades of polarization gets you.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Both the left and the right find my political views offensive

I consider myself the great uniter.....

My sister and her husband are pretty liberal- I'm not willing to not have a relationship with them over politics.
    My wife and I are as limited government as anyone I know and we really don't have friends that are big liberals. Then again- we live in Tarrant County, Texas which is overwhelmingly Republican.

I can respect people who honestly believe in ideas different than mine, but do not respect people who are bent on nothing but increasing the power of the government- and that is pretty much on both sides.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I was born and raised about 20 minutes from Camden NJ (Philadelphia PA metro area) in a blue collar middle class town of some diversity/overwhelmingly Democrats, but I've also lived in the Northern Rockies, and the deep Southeast, and there are universals in all those places: People who lean right tend to be very familiar with both history and human nature, and it is why they're so grounded and capable; It's like the differences in economic theory between Milton Friedman/Thomas Sowell, and the leftist Paul Krugman...

Regardless of Race or Ethnicity, the poor and struggling who are exposed to the constant message of victimology, will most likely become dependent on the government; As just one example- we see it in poor whites in London, and poor blacks in America- it's not limited to race or geography... And that dangerous message of victimology won't end unless we unite in denouncing Leftism, because it's too profitable for those who peddle it.

The nicest people I meet are those at Tea Party rallies and Friends of NRA events, VFW and American Legion posts, and we condemn the KKK and Neo Nazis, just as we denounce BLM, the New BP, ANTIFA/BAMN, OCCUPY, CS1950, and the Communist Party USA... (Charlottesville probably wouldn't have turned deadly if the Governor, Mayor and Police Chief, had allowed the LEOs to do their jobs, instead of the pols using it as an opportunity to further their political agendas).

There is such a plethora of opinions just within the right leaning population alone, that I just don't have any desire to add more "Left Leaners" to my circle of friends and family- there are too many already, LOL!

In my experience, political views almost always indicate core values- not always, but usually, with most exceptions applying to those under 35.

I'll say that I've been a law abiding Citizen, but with a heavy foot, and I've never had a negative interaction with an LEO, probably because I truly feel like I, and LEOs, are on the same team- team America.

The eight year long, Obama birthed, spike of intentional attacks on American Law Enforcement Officers is simply unacceptable, and must end, because each officer attacked, is an attack on America...

The solution is UNITY as defined by the Founding Fathers, the Constitution, and Capitalism- and NOT as defined by those arguing against FREEDOM and the obligation of cultural assimilation...

The American Melting Pot has ONLY worked because of assimilation, and the eight years of intentional strategic divisiveness have shown what happens when assimilation is discouraged!
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-21-2017 at 01:33 PM.

User Tag List