Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a S&W MP15 mid MOE?

Do I want a S&W MP15 mid MOE?

I am 15 years away from AR's and thinking I might get back in.

Comments on that particular rifle please. I have a very good deal on it if I want it.

Again comments on only that rifle please.

I like them though not having shot one, but sold a bunch with no reported issues (same for the entire non-Sport S&W M&P15 line). That SKU would be on my short list if I were in the market today.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

We have one in the house, it's given us no trouble, though it is by far the cheapest AR we have. If I recall, we've replaced the FSB with a lo-pro block and free-floated the handguard, replaced the m4 stock with a magpul something or other, changed the grip, and stuff like that. Not a bad entry-level AR, but for my money, I prefer to build my own. If I had to buy factory, I'd probably spring for a mid-tier BCM and call it a day.

If you are going to get one just make sure everything is torqued properly and everything is tested. I'd double check every bolt, pin, etc.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    We have one in the house, it's given us no trouble, though it is by far the cheapest AR we have. If I recall, we've replaced the FSB with a lo-pro block and free-floated the handguard, replaced the m4 stock with a magpul something or other, changed the grip, and stuff like that. Not a bad entry-level AR, but for my money, I prefer to build my own. If I had to buy factory, I'd probably spring for a mid-tier BCM and call it a day.
    Are you talking about the Sport model? The one OP is referencing is their midlength that already comes with magpul furniture

Yeah, the one we have is the "magpul" engraved, mid length version. It came with an MOE stock, grip, and carbine style two-piece handguard. My son changed it out for the SL/compact stock and installed the free float handguard. It's a decent rifle, not to say there aren't personal preference "improvements" that could be made.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I like them though not having shot one, but sold a bunch with no reported issues (same for the entire non-Sport S&W M&P15 line). That SKU would be on my short list if I were in the market today.
    Have their been issues with the Sport line?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Yeah, the one we have is the "magpul" engraved, mid length version. It came with an MOE stock, grip, and carbine style two-piece handguard. My son changed it out for the SL/compact stock and installed the free float handguard. It's a decent rifle, not to say there aren't personal preference "improvements" that could be made.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Have their been issues with the Sport line?
    Nothing major that I've seen (out of the pallet-fulls that I've sold I only had to send back one) and if I were issued one I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but they are built with different parts than S&W's regular line of rifles and certain cost-cutting measures are evident so I do treat the two lines as separate, like a Colt 6920 vs. Expanse.

I have one that I bought a couple years ago. No issues but I haven't put that many rounds though it either. Lot of good features for the money. That being said AR's are really cheap right now. 6920's can be bought for $800. I see BCM's on sell at very good prices.

If you just want a beater buy the Smith and be happy. I would lean toward a 6920 now and add your choice of furniture. If I was looking for a new AR it would be hard to pass up on the BCM deals that I've seen.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I'd get one for the right price, speaking from my S&W M&P 5.45 AR experience.
    #RESIST

User Tag List