Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G34 Blahs

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

G34 Blahs

The first decent centerfire handgun I bought was a Gen 3 G34. I remember the excitement, and how glad I was to have the Academy-special Taurus out of my life. I apparently missed the paper once during my NRA intro to pistol class with the Taurus, with its inconsistent and incredibly heavy trigger. I knew myself to be a much better shot than that, due to my experience with a Buck Mark at that point. My first round ever through the G34 was in the bull. Things were going to get a lot better. I soon picked up a police trade-in 96D just to see what that was about. I was shooting at ranges with slow-fire rules, but I found I could be notably more accurate with that old, well-used and inexpensive pistol than I was with the Glock. Loading the right (Hornady Critical Defense) ammo in that pizza gun the first time was a quantum leap in my apparent shooting skill and expectations of progress. A friend I went shooting with, who's had guns for 25 years, shot that old Beretta significantly better than he did his own guns that day.

The Glock has been sitting in the safe for a couple years while I continued to learn about other, more interesting pistols. But Glocks have a lot of good qualities and, although I wouldn’t now buy one, it seemed silly to get rid of a perfectly good G34 that I already have.

You can’t circulate in the gun world and avoid learning more about Glocks, and with the idea that I’d get back to it eventually and want it to be a good piece, I’ve picked up little things here and there. Some Meprolight sights that were $67 on Amazon, a NY1 spring, the Apex extractor and supporting bits recommended by Wayne Dobbs, and a Gadget. Recently, the P320 fiasco got me more focused on the Glock action and appreciating its operation, and I decided it was time to get hands-on. So I installed all the parts, and did a little further tuning of the Grip Force Adapter (chopped the beavertail for Gadget access and a little more while I had the files and sandpaper out). Made sure things that should move smoothly actually move smoothly. I’ve eliminated the undercut bump on the trigger guard that gave me Glock Knuckle the first time out, chamfered the annoying sharp corners of the mag release, and shaved the trigger dingus so it is almost flush with the trigger itself. I’ve been shooting TDA, and the NY1/minus trigger is about as close to that as I can imagine a Glock trigger being. Basically, it’s everything I can imagine wanting it to be, and there’s nothing I would change about it.

Took it to the range last night. Started off with three slow-fire holes touching in the center of the bull. Sights are on. Did my usual routine. At the end, I was shooting it acceptably, given how different it is from the TDA guns I’ve been working with lately.

Does the G34 work? Yeah.

Could I get A LOT better with more training focusing on it? Yeah.

Did I feel any joy or passion while shooting it? Nope, not even a little.

Do I look forward to getting back to the range with it next time? Haven’t actually visualized doing so.

I feel about the Glock almost exactly the way I feel about the staple gun in my tool chest. Nice to know it’s there if I need to staple something, but other than that, I’m not going to dwell on it.

Contrast it with my previous range session, where I had thoughts like, “Realistically, I should just sell all my other centerfire pistols.” That was a plastic gun, too. And I intend to spend more money on it to make it work better for me. (Planning to explore the world of LEM/Match parts mixing.) I’m excited to get moving down that path, dialing in the pistol and working to improve myself with it. But I won’t sell all my others, because I like them, too. When I pull the GP100 out of its case, it looks just sooo right, and when I dry fire it, it’s beautiful on the inside. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and makes me want to build some serious revolver skills in this life.

I think the answer is obvious. The G34 is a good gun. Mine is now dialed in just right for me. And it should go down the road.

If I sell it now, I don’t expect I’d ever buy another Glock, so this decision is likely to determine whether I’ll ever have a Glock in the future. I’m a little reluctant to close that door, especially when the do-nothing option leaves it open. Not that I really care whether it's open. But when most of the rest of the world seems to think Glocks are great, I kinda hesitate.

So the question, does anyone have any good reason why my G34 should go back to its place in the back of the safe so I can try again later?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If you're not shooting it, and don't enjoy taking it to the range, sell it & buy something that you like.

These days, a Glock is like a relative. Maybe your favorite relative, maybe your least favorite, but like it or not, will always be there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    If you need the money, sell it. If not, keep it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So the question, does anyone have any good reason why my G34 should go back to its place in the back of the safe so I can try again later?
    Lots of people seem to try Glock, then move to something else, then back to Glock, then to something else, then maybe back to Glock. I know that right now you have no intention of coming back, but these sorts of decisions are easily reversed after a time. Barring some compelling financial reason to sell the Glock, it may be easier in the long term to just hang on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Lots of people seem to try Glock, then move to something else, then back to Glock, then to something else, then maybe back to Glock.
    *raises hand sheepishly*

However if you're at Glock #1 and don't like the flavor of their koolaid, it's not too late to spit it out and take an exit ramp off the Gaston Autobahn.

Around Glock #7 with multiple identical copies and a couple Rubbermaid tubs of mags later, it's a whole lot harder to quit cold turkey.

If it's not for you, it's not for you.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    If I sell it now, I don’t expect I’d ever buy another Glock, so this decision is likely to determine whether I’ll ever have a Glock in the future. I’m a little reluctant to close that door, especially when the do-nothing option leaves it open. Not that I really care whether it's open. But when most of the rest of the world seems to think Glocks are great, I kinda hesitate.

Biggest reason is that it's a buyer's market and not a good time to sell, unless you need the money. Not to mention the loss on the aftermarket parts. Most non-enthusiasts won't appreciate them and will not pay a premium.

If it were me, I'd keep it. My skills and preferences evolve constantly and I often "rediscover" guns that I haven't touched in years. Or you could jump into the deep end of the Austrian Plastic Fantastic pool and buy a Steyr L9. They usually elicit more passionate responses, one way or another. Just don't expect aftermarket support.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I feel the same way about Glocks- they're very reliable, very durable pistols- but the grip angle, ergos, and polymer sights, aren't for me.

You should divest of it, because your G34 deserves to be loved and admired by someone who likes Glocks!
    Last edited by MontWyDaho; 08-20-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    These days, a Glock is like a relative. Maybe your favorite relative, maybe your least favorite, but like it or not, will always be there.
    Truth: Crotchety old uncle Gaston.

On the one hand, it doesn't make much sense to sell a vetted, dialed in gun. I would recommend hanging on to most other makes falling into that category.

On the other, it's a Glock, and you now know exactly what you did to dial it in, so you could duplicate it at any time during our current political climate.

I'd sell it and try something else, with the above knowledge. Hell, I just got rid of my second G43 (both guns worked great) and may soon buy my 4th G26... which I would expect to mirror the others in feel and function. Glocks are sort of disposable.

The one thing I would recommend, based on my own serial flipping: don't sell all your mags, and keep your favorite holster. Right now, I'm thinking I'm G26 all the way, but I'm still keeping 4 G43 mags (and selling the rest) because I've learned not to trust myself.

I hope that makes sense.

Put all the stock parts back into the gun, and sell it. Then sell the aftermarket parts separately. Sink the money into HKs.

User Tag List