Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .22lr practice revolver search for my Father-in-law...

Charter Arms makes the Pathfinder in .22.
    I have an older, adjustable sighted, one in stainless.
    Shoots well and is about the same size as my Smith J-frames.

More recent versions don't have adjustable sights.

Site Supporter
    My Ruger polymer frame .22 had an acceptably light d.a. trigger pull--lighter than the J frame belonging to the elder man with hand issues.

317 is probably the way to go for a 22LR revolver. The plastic primer only rounds are also a great idea. If you want a lighter trigger than the rimfire revolvers, and don't mind the ammo cost, .32 hand ejectors are pretty much the last remaining affordable smith revolvers, and they're extremely cool.

A 43c with a Wollf reduced weight spring. I have one in mine and have yet to have a firearm related issue making decent ammo go bang.

As big a fan as I am of .32's, .32 ammo is freaking expensive if you're not reloading.

Only you and your dad know if his issues will cause problems with shooting a DAO revolver.

The LCR is significantly cheaper than the 43c however, I can't speak for the reliability of reduced weight springs in the LCR .22.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post

... I think I want those for me!
    how loud are they? think I could get away with making a short range in my 36' shed?
    I'd still recommend a set of foamie ear plugs. They are a large pistol primer inserted into a plastic case. Out of a 4" .38 revolver, they sound like a loud BB gun.

I am pretty deaf, and am very cautious about noise as a result of prior permanent hearing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd still recommend a set of foamie ear plugs. They are a large pistol primer inserted into a plastic case. Out of a 4" .38 revolver, they sound like a loud BB gun.

I am pretty deaf, and am very cautious about noise as a result of prior permanent hearing loss.
    On a twangandbang YouTube video, he compares some of the wax and plastic primer powered loads.

snap caps are definitely on the list of things to bring him next time i'm there.

I like that 317... for me

I've seen several people here and elsewhere recommend light loads or wadcutters. Neither he nor I are reloaders. Any recommendations for soft shooting loads? My experience with .38spl ammo is limited. I know Freedom Munitions make a 125gr load that shoots pretty light (makes my 686 feel like my 617) but still has some decent kick in my 442, so that might not be light enough. I have a case of it still so I guess I could bring some next time i'm visiting.

... I think I want those for me!
    how loud are they? think I could get away with making a short range in my 36' shed?
    This place was recommended by LSP972. They are having a 25% off sale of 148 HBWC. I bought a case and they seem pretty light recoiling to me. I think Steve called them bunny fart loads. I don't remember the exact velocity but I'm pretty sure it's less than 800fps.
    Last edited by UNK; 08-23-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

what place was that?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

what place was that?
    https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...ed-ammunition/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

thanks. not all that up on .38spl ammo pricing, but $232/1000 for range ammo sure feels like a pretty decent price. I'll have to order some in a couple days to try.

eta: that was before the 25% off. $174.30 for 100 148gr HBWC rounds? and free shipping? daddy is gonna spend money now!
    Last edited by hufnagel; 08-24-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List