Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a 1994 W. German P220

Thoughts on a 1995 W. German P220

So I have an opportunity to trade a gun I don't want anymore for a 1995 Sig P220 .45acp made in W. Germany. I don't have a lot of experience with the P220s, but I have read some posts stating that they are a bad choice for a hard use .45acp. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 08-20-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Not sure what "hard use" means; I've had a few of these and always considered them "shoot a little, carry a lot" guns. I remember reports of frame cracking in high round count guns. Having said that, they had excellent triggers, functioned well and were accurate. If you like classic SIG ergos and want to carry a mid-sized single-stack .45, they are hard to beat.

I picked up a '97 P220 a month or two ago and I like it. It's definitely more of a collector piece for me and won't get shot very often. I find the beavertail really digs into me if I use the same high grip on it that I do shooting Glocks.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

All of the folded slide guns are less durable than the stainless slide guns. I don't see P220s as high-use guns, compared to the 9mm guns. I'd also worry about spare parts, since those guns have been out of production for a good while now.
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-20-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to pass on it as it seems almost impossible to find slide parts for it.

I have a West German 220 from about that time and it is the best TDA 45 I've ever owned. It gets little range time but switching from the P226 to the 220 isn't hard.

The thing is spooky accurate with 230 gr. Gold Dots.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I have had a lot of them. My normal thing was to shoot 30,000 rounds through a gun, totally rebuild it, shoot another ten thousand and sell it to one of e guys at work who would likely never put another 5000 rounds through it in their career. Never saw any cracked frames at my agency and we shot the crap out of the W. German guns. That was with regular .45 loads. I would not run +P HST through them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to pass on it as it seems almost impossible to find slide parts for it.
    get that 220 you will never wear out the slide on the 220s in your life time, its hard to wear out an slide of any gun, small parts, frame and barrels go first and unless you are planning on going thru 1K rounds per week, is no concern.

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    get that 220 you will never wear out the slide on the 220s in your life time, its hard to wear out an slide of any gun, small parts, frame and barrels go first and unless you are planning on going thru 1K rounds per week, is no concern.
    I'm not too concerned about the life of a stamped slide P226 or P220. Cracked slides tend to occur mostly with the P228 and P245 slides with the shorter recoil spring. What does concern me though is the lack of extractors out there. I'm the type of guy who likes to keep a few spare parts on hand, and for me a couple of extra extractor is important.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 08-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have a 2015-production P220R that I am in the process of selling halfheartedly.

I was never really worried about the longevity issues because I'm never going to shoot a .45 that much that isn't a 1911. Too expensive.

It is a truly excellent gun. Great finish, amazingly strong ejection, stunning accuracy.

That said, I am selling it simply because I never use it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List