Thread: The USS Indianapolis Has Been Found

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

The USS Indianapolis Has Been Found

From BBC News:

The World War Two heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis has been found in the Pacific Ocean, 72 years after its sinking by a Japanese submarine.

The warship was discovered 18,000 feet (5.5km) beneath the surface.

The Indianapolis was destroyed returning from its secret mission to deliver parts for the atomic bomb which was later used on Hiroshima.

Of the 1,196 men on board, just 316 were rescued - the largest loss of life in the history of the US Navy.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who led the civilian search team, said the discovery was "truly humbling".

The USS Indianapolis was destroyed on 30 July 1945 when, somewhere in the Philippine sea between Guam and Leyte, it was hit by a torpedo from a Japanese submarine.

Between 800-900 escaped the sinking ship. But no distress call was ever received, and by the time the survivors were found by chance four days later, just 316 were left alive in the shark-infested waters.

The ship's rapid sinking - in just 12 minutes - and the lack of a distress call meant the ship's location had long been a mystery.

Mr Allen's crew discovered the vessel on 18 August, after new research from a naval historian pointed them to a specific region of the ocean where the warship had been sighted the night before its destruction.

The ship is well-known for its final, secret mission, carrying parts for the atomic bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" as well as enriched uranium fuel for its nuclear reaction. Those supplies were delivered to Tinian island, an American base in the final year of the war which launched the world's first nuclear bombing.

Four days later, the Indianapolis sank - less than a week before the nuclear bomb it helped to make destroyed Hiroshima.
    Wow. What an incredible piece of history.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

18,000 feet. Wow.

I'm trying to picture what it may look like. Was it crushed from the pressure? Did it break up on the way down? The ocean floor may be barren down there so it could conceivably not be completely covered in organisms.

I made the mistake(?) of reading some of the survivor's accounts while I worked on a commercial fishing boat. The survivors endured a 4 day feeding frenzy, even sharks get full after a while.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Far out. The survivor story is a hell of a thing.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Haven't seen many photos yet.

Name:  21indianapolis-2-superJumbo.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  41.8 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    You beat me to it. One of my favorite monologues of all time. Shaw was a master.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You beat me to it. One of my favorite monologues of all time. Shaw was a master.
    Just because those sharks ate your buddies doesn't mean they're all like that.

#NotAllSharks
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List