Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a Comfy Carry Rig for a Hi Power Please....

For a nice IWB leather option.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some beautiful holsters guys, but I made a mistake in my initial posting. I should've mentioned that I cannot spend this kind of money on a holster. I know with leather that a lot of the time you get what you pay for. That's something I am going to try and navigate around and why one of the ones I have been looking at are the holsters from ALIEN GEAR.
    I would like nothing more than to have my Hi Power resting in a Milt Sparks, Kramer, Tucker, Alessi, Rosen or any of the dozens of others that are absolutely beautiful, but I can't. Heck, I doubt if I could afford a USED holster from any of these makers.

So, I totally understand if you all don't post any other suggestions.

My apologies for not setting a limit in my initial posting.

MUHerd

We do want to help, but did you say you preferred leather, but are now concentrating on Alien Gear? Do they make a leather holster?

If it is kydex you want, as mentioned earlier, Custom Carry Concepts has some lower cost options.

http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/Holsters_c_11.html

With the Hi-Power, like the 1911, you need to have access to the thumb safety to get a full firing grip. While I'm not that familiar Alien Gear, most don't look like they give access to the thumb safety. Watch when Ed Head, of Gunsite gets to the thumb safety on his 1911 at around :40 into this GunTalkTV 1911 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGxwJrrABY

JTQ,

I was hoping that I could find some leather or the synthetic leather, or whatever they call it, that would be in my budget, but it might not be possible. Leather is at the top of my WISH list, I guess is the best way to put it.
    They Kydex is looking more like what I am going to have to go with, which I don't mind. LOTS of great holster makers out there I'm sure.

As for the Alien Gear, I have never seen or handled one. I just had a couple online buddies tell me that Alien Gear is a good holster that I should check out. That's why I mentioned it. If you all don't think it would be appropriate for the Hi Power, that's totally OK. I trust your judgement on these things as you all obviously know much more than I do about these things.

I also have a Beretta 92 Custom Carry that I have never carried before or owned a holster for. It is about 30 ounces and I think it would be a good CCW option too. That's originally where the Alien Gear suggestion came from, when I was asking about a holster for these Beretta 92 Compacts. They are not the most common handgun around to get a holster for although it might be better now than when I last checked for them several years ago. I was told that Alien gear has a holster that you can buy that if you want to carry another weapon all you have to do is buy a separate kydex shell and you're good to go. So I thought, what's not to like here? Buy a rig for my Beretta Custom Carry and then spend $20 and get another shell and have a rig for my Hi Power too.

I'll check out the links you posted. Like I mentioned, you all are much more knowledgeable about carry gear and issues that I am because I don't keep up with this stuff like I used to. If you think there are better options for the Hi Power than the Alien Gear, I trust you. I'll look for other options.

Thanks for you all taking time to help me out. I appreciate it.

Site Supporter
    You can afford anything you want. You may have to sell something, or save up for it, but if what you want is the perfect Rosen holster for your special BHP or Beretta, you can get one. If it came down to it, you could sell one gun to fund leather for the other. See what I mean? You have two pistols, and either is worth more than a custom leather rig for the other.

That said, kydex will cost less, and has some everyday carry advantages over leather. If what you want is a practical carry rig for one of those pistols, JMCK will make you something great. I have two from Tony, and couldn't be happier. One is a complete custom for my 92A1, and the other was a "quick ship" for my Glock - he has a list of stuff for the Glock that he can get shipped very fast. That means little if you don't have a Glock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    JMCK will make you something great.
    For the OP, who may not be familiar...

JM Custom Kydex http://www.jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    I am a kydex fan. Evem when I carried a 1911, I used kydex. I do have an alien gear holster for my G34. It's better than a sock on a string, conceals well, but that's a function of the belt really. I don't like it as much, nor is it as easy to conceal as my Uno by Custom Carry Concepts. And it cost about the same, maybe a little less. It's far and away less durable. I've snapped a clip on it already. Not as comfortable as the Uno. Also, maybe look at Mastermind Tactics new Beretta holsters? A full size holster for a 92 will fit a compact. Mack said he had something in the works. Probably worth the wait if you plan to carry a Beretta appendix.

Both Mack and Rich are solid holster makers and they make good stuff for a decent price.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Here's a lightly used Mitch Rosen IWB for your HP. It's listed for a 40cal but should fit fine.
    I've purchased numerous leather and Kydex holsters over the years for various guns. I may not have liked all of the high-quality holsters I bought because they weren't good for my body style Etc, but I have learned this... Buy cheap and you'll by twice. Buy something quality the first time and it'll last you for years. If you don't like it, it's a lot easier to sell it than some hunk of cheap junk that you bought because you thought you would save a few bucks.
    I've had several Mitch Rosen holsters and they've been great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/253042400400
    Last edited by iWander; 08-23-2017 at 02:24 PM.

For your price point, I'd strongly recommend Olen Holsters; http://olenholster.com/

Otherwise, for years I've been pleased with a horsehide Galco Royal Guard IWB; the newer, current production ones have an improved sweat shield as well.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    If you actually carry your gun an alien gear holster will not actually be cheaper in the long run as it will fall apart and you will need a new one every year or two.

Good Kydex is cheaper but has a finite service life as well.

A high quality leather holster like a milt Sparks or a Rosen will last 10-20 years with proper care.

It's kind of like shoes or boots. You can spend $30 every six months or $200 once on a pair of danners which will last years.

A used higher quality holster is definitely an option. E bay or brand specific forums would be good sources.

Carrying a gun implies you may need to use it. Though it may never happen you must assume it will. If you are carrying a gun, you need to practice with it. If holsters and Ammo are not in the budget it may be time to focus on one gun or a less expensive platform.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-27-2017 at 01:00 PM.

User Tag List