Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a Comfy Carry Rig for a Hi Power Please....

Suggest a Comfy Carry Rig for a Hi Power Please....

Hey all,

I've been looking around a bit for a decent, comfy rig to carry my Hi Power. I wouldn't mind finding another holster to carry my Beretta 92 Custom Carry too. Either one is fine right now.

I don't know whether the IWB would be the most comfy or a high ride OWB. Do you all have some thoughts on that? Maybe you have tried both and found out that one is definitely better than the other. If so, how about telling about your experiences?

I also would prefer leather, but the prices of leather holsters are going to be much higher than kydex and I don't have the spare "fun money" to buy a nice leather holster right now. If there's a leather, or fake type leather out there that's decent and isn't a lot of money, by all means pass it along please.

I've seen some of the kydex holsters mentioned quite a bit, one I recall is Alien Gear. I've never actually seen one, but have read some great comments about them.

Any suggestions you all can give would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your help.
    MUHerd

Site Supporter
    A good quality holster for not much money is the custom carry concepts Uno.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd View Post

I don't know whether the IWB would be the most comfy or a high ride OWB.
    I think most would say OWB is more comfortable than IWB, mostly because your pants are probably currently sized for just wearing you inside them and not a gun and holster too.

For OWB, there are two basic concealment holster designs. The pancake, and the Avenger/Nelson #1 Professional. Most makers will offer either one or both. The key concealment feature of both is the trailing belt loop, the loop below (or aft on your belt) the trigger guard. This loop will pull the grip in close to your body. Without it, they grip will typically stick out.

Some find the pancake more comfortable as it has two widely spaced loops that spread the weight. Other's prefer the Avenger/Nelson design as it doesn't press the gun up against your body as tightly as a pancake. You really will just need to experiment to find out what you prefer. Milt Sparks offer's examples of both styles. The I-Bak (Improved Baker - Roy Baker is credited with inventing the pancake holster) and the 55BN (the BN is Bruce Nelson that invented or perfected this style)

Milt Sparks http://www.miltsparks.com

Milt Sparks also offers two of the best known IWB holsters, the Summer Special (SS)/Summer Special II (SS II) and the Versa Max II (VM II)

I also would prefer leather, but the prices of leather holsters are going to be much higher than kydex and I don't have the spare "fun money" to buy a nice leather holster right now. If there's a leather, or fake type leather out there that's decent and isn't a lot of money, by all means pass it along please.
    There is no "fake leather" that is any good.
    I've seen some of the kydex holsters mentioned quite a bit, one I recall is Alien Gear. I've never actually seen one, but have read some great comments about them.
    I'm going to guess Alien Gear is not popular here. Here is the late Todd Green's comments at pistol-training.com on that design.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/9692

Some fairly inexpensive options in leather are the Mitch Rosen Express Line, Simply Rugged,

Mitch Rosen http://mitchrosen.com/products/express-line/

Simply Rugged https://www.simplyrugged.com

Wild Bill's Concealment http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com

Lobo Gun Leather http://lobogunleather.com

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Check out Privateer Leather.

Wes is a great guy with some real talent in leather. I have no skin in the game, but have purchased numerous BHP holsters from him in the past. I have both a Buccaneer and a Navigant. Wes actually worked with me designing the Navigant as I wanted a high riding OWB that wouldnt be susceptible to "flop" with a top heavy/thin slide design like the BHP is. What he came up with and shipped is absolutely perfect. (Thats my Novak-tweaked Mk II in the pics BTW.) I can carry in the Navigant with pretty much the same cover garment as the Bucaneer. You will need a good thick belt for it to work as you cannot get by gravity, geometry and physics. I have a double bullhide belt that provides enough support for either.

I use them both equally. Im a bit more likely now to carry OWB, but the IWB is just as nice and solid workmanship. Again, I have no connection to him besides a very satisfied repeat (x4) customer. Take a look at his site, send him an email, ask questions. He's a really nice guy to do business with.
    Last edited by entropy; 08-20-2017 at 12:41 PM.

During my BHP years it was a Milt Sparks Executive Companion. It was excellent.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My Hi-Power is an Argentinian slab-side, not an original Belgian one. That said, and just FYI: I've yet to buy a single holster for a Hi-Power. I just use a holster for a 5" 1911. The holster is a tad longer than it needs to be, but otherwise it's been a perfect fit every time. Don't even have to adjust retention on my kydex holsters.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Back when I carried pretty guns in pretty holsters, I had a Novak custom shop BHP in a Kramer horsehide IWB, sometimes in a Galco VHS vertical shoulder rig.

Nice pistols, the Brownings. Too nice for my life in the dirty south.

My go to IWB. I've used it for a 1911, BHP as well as currently with the Beretta 92.
    http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?pr...7&categoryId=3
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-20-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I would not recommend Alien Gear.

A quality holster is not going to come at a sub-$50 price tag in general.

If you like leather and are on a budget, I suggest joining a forum of enthusiasts of your platform. I'd bet there is a BHP forum somewhere. Get on their classifieds section and look around, post a want add up.

Otherwise, do some research and save 100-200 for a piece of heirloom quality leather work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List