Thread: Weird primer related issues with EMP 4?

Weird primer related issues with EMP 4?

Had a good range trip today with a friend who bought some new guns to try out. Glock 17 SBR with micro-roni doohicky, CZ P10C, and an Springfield EMP 4" 9mm.

First, the Roni'd Glock was fun as hell, worked great (locking the slide back manually was a trick that I wasn't able to figure out though) and to be honest makes more practical sense for a PCC than my Zenith Z5 (which is also fun as hell and works great).

Second, the EMP. Also stupid fun to shoot, went to town on the steel plates like nobody's business, it functioned 100% with my CCI 124s and passed the extractor test one handed without issue. BUT, with my friend's ammo, a mix of Magtech and S&B, about every five rounds it would get a failure to fire, followed by failures to feed attempting immediate action. The cause turned out to be part of the primer getting stuck in the firing pin channel, which not only prevented subsequent rounds from firing but also would catch on the rim of the top round in the magazine preventing feeding. On one instance the primer bit got stuck behind the disconnector preventing the slide from moving forward.

Now, I've shot a ton of both Magtech and S&B and have never seen this before and this ammo did not cause any problems in the Glock or CZ. It looked almost like a small circular chuck of the primer was pulled out with a cookie cutter. Inspection of the firing pin didn't show any defect. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm at a loss.

Oh, and not particularly relevant but the CZ did not pass the extractor test and neither did the G17 when it was removed from the micro-roni, but my PX4CC did just fine
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    *headdesk* Jeez, Springfield. The early examples of the original EMP had a near-identical problem. I didn't see failures to feed but the firing pin channel getting clogged with debris is exactly why mine went back to the factory. It's been a bunch of years but I seem to remember the customer service rep indicating this was a known issue at the time.

User Tag List