Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 34 or Glock 17 for IDPA?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Gen 4 19s otoh are unobtanium right now.
    That's news to me. They're plentiful in my area.

I owned a G34 for years and recently traded into a Gen 3 G17 a few months ago. After I got the G17 I put a "-" connector in it and did a side by side Pepsi challenge with the G17 and G34 consisting of multiple range trips with a timer. I've found them to be very close in performance at my level of shooting. The 34 seems to be a little more precise in the 20+ yard shots but the difference is very slight(if any at all). The biggest difference to me is that the G34 seems to point ever-so slightly better and doesn't black out the lens of my WML as fast as the G17. Your splitting hairs if you ask me.

If you already have a G30, why not just stay with the .45 and upgrade to the Gen4 Glock 21?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If you already have a G30, why not just stay with the .45 and upgrade to the Gen4 Glock 21?
    I originally had a snide response, but I'll be more helpful and provide a list of reasons I'd prefer a 17/34 for IDPA:

1. Ammo cost is significantly less.
    2. 9mm is easier to shoot
    3. G21 is gigantic (I haven't shot a 21SF or a Gen4, but the gen2 I tried a while back felt like a brick)
    4. There's far more competition in SSP than CDP, at least where I am. At the match I shot on Saturday there were 40 shooters in SSP and 6 in CDP.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I originally had a snide response, but I'll be more helpful and provide a list of reasons I'd prefer a 17/34 for IDPA:

3. G21 is gigantic (I haven't shot a 21SF or a Gen4, but the gen2 I tried a while back felt like a brick)
    4. There's far more competition in SSP than CDP, at least where I am. At the match I shot on Saturday there were 40 shooters in SSP and 6 in CDP.
    Where did you shoot Saturday? I shot Saturday and we had 40 people shooting. It took all day with only 2 squads.
    There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."-Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

IDPA is a 9mm game. The G30 has a very short sight radius. I see myself at a disadvantage since I do shoot the G30 in SSP. I also agree that the ammo cost is less, I reload and it will be approximately $.14 a round to relaod 9mm versus my $.18-.19 now.
    There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."-Ted Nugent

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mscott327 View Post
    IDPA is a 9mm game. The G30 has a very short sight radius. I see myself at a disadvantage since I do shoot the G30 in SSP. I also agree that the ammo cost is less, I reload and it will be approximately $.14 a round to relaod 9mm versus my $.18-.19 now.
    Do you care more about winning or about familiarity with your carry pistol?

I think if you move to 9mm you should also be considering a trade on the g30, if ammo costs are really that persuasive.

I have both a G17 and G34, both Gen 3s (along with two G19s and a G21, all also Gen 3s). Between the G17 and G34, both are great guns; I really think that it depends upon which gun you feel most comfortable with (i.e., balance and sight radius-wise, and how you shoot with each). Additionally, it also depends upon which sights, connector and spring combination you prefer/do the best with.

To answer your question directly based on MY empirical experience, while I'd probably genarically say "It doesn't make a difference between the two," I do have to admit that I recently shot my most accurate IDPA match ever, with the G34 (using Warren Tactical sights, a OEM Glock "minus" connector, and a NY1 spring)-but in the same 6 month period, I also shot my best Classifier ever (not that that's necessarily much to write home about) with my G17-which uses Glock steel sights (more specifically, a Glock steel rear and a Trijicon supplied-through-Glock steel (non tritium, and exactly the same profile as the OEM Glock polymer front sight, just made in steel and in a screw-on mounting), the standard connector, and the standard coil trigger spring...

I think that the G17 balances out slightly better than the G34, but that's probably only of any concern in strong and/or weak hand only firing-and then, my G19 balances out better than either of them, and I've consistently done extremely well with it; so you might want to consider a G19 as well. For distance shooting, undoubtedly the G34 does the best, but then again it has the best sights for distance shooting; if I had the Warren Tactical sights on all 3 guns, I might think otherwise. (And I've had my fastest GSSF times with the G17, even when shot concurrently with the G34...)

So-I'd go with the one that you feel/shoot the best with, and has the best triggerpull (which'll vary slightly from gun to gun). Frankly, you might want to consider getting a G17, and using the dollar savings over the G34 to invest in a set of Warren (or comparable) sights, familiarize with the gun as it comes (standard connector, coil trigger spring), and then after 500-1000 rounds downrange, experiment with various spring/connector alternatives. I'm having some very interesting results with a "dot" connector, coil spring, and Gen 3.5 triggerbar (with smooth trigger) in one of my Gen 3 G19s...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I have both a G17 and G34, both Gen 3s (along with two G19s and a G21, all also Gen 3s). Between the G17 and G34, both are great guns; I really think that it depends upon which gun you feel most comfortable with (i.e., balance and sight radius-wise, and how you shoot with each). Additionally, it also depends upon which sights, connector and spring combination you prefer/do the best with.

To answer your question directly based on MY empirical experience, while I'd probably genarically say "It doesn't make a difference between the two," I do have to admit that I recently shot my most accurate IDPA match ever, with the G34 (using Warren Tactical sights, a OEM Glock "minus" connector, and a NY1 spring)-but in the same 6 month period, I also shot my best Classifier ever (not that that's necessarily much to write home about) with my G17-which uses Glock steel sights (more specifically, a Glock steel rear and a Trijicon supplied-through-Glock steel (non tritium, and exactly the same profile as the OEM Glock polymer front sight, just made in steel and in a screw-on mounting), the standard connector, and the standard coil trigger spring...

I think that the G17 balances out slightly better than the G34, but that's probably only of any concern in strong and/or weak hand only firing-and then, my G19 balances out better than either of them, and I've consistently done extremely well with it; so you might want to consider a G19 as well. For distance shooting, undoubtedly the G34 does the best, but then again it has the best sights for distance shooting; if I had the Warren Tactical sights on all 3 guns, I might think otherwise. (And I've had my fastest GSSF times with the G17, even when shot concurrently with the G34...)

So-I'd go with the one that you feel/shoot the best with, and has the best triggerpull (which'll vary slightly from gun to gun). Frankly, you might want to consider getting a G17, and using the dollar savings over the G34 to invest in a set of Warren (or comparable) sights, familiarize with the gun as it comes (standard connector, coil trigger spring), and then after 500-1000 rounds downrange, experiment with various spring/connector alternatives. I'm having some very interesting results with a "dot" connector, coil spring, and Gen 3.5 triggerbar (with smooth trigger) in one of my Gen 3 G19s...

Best, Jon
    Thanks, Great advice! I'm looking at getting the Warren Tactical Sevigny Competition Sight Set with Black non-serrated rear sight and a red fiber optic front sight.
    I use a Ghost 3.5 connector kit with wolf springs in my G30 and I plan on getting them again.

Somewhere I read that, counter to what one might expect, a G34 was more comfortable for some in AIWB carry than a G17. Makes sense though when you consider the variety in human anatomy. Might carry be a factor in the choice? At some point, sight radius and weight-inertia become a minus rather than a plus (haven't taken my CX4 Storm to the range since the RSO said I had to use TWO hands) but body-fit is also a factor.
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

User Tag List