Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glock 34 or Glock 17 for IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'm just the opposite, I have a strong preference for the Sevigny - specifically carry version.
    I tried his carry version, and the rear sight bit the heck out of me. Matter of fact, that is the reason I first tried the regular Warren Tactical rear sight---I liked the sights overall, but the Sevigny rear contour was killing me. The standard WT rear sight angles inward, so I put one of those on the gun, and it didn't bite me at all---and then I found out that I got on target even quicker with them, so I switched over for my competition sights, too.

Both good rear sights, in my opinion. One just bites me.

My perception that the Warrens and/or Sevigny sights might bite me or eat my shirt during AIWB carry (a rear sight that extends to the true back end of the slide rubs against my abdomen when holster AIWB), coupled with the cost of them, is what got me to try the Ameriglo Defoors in the first place. I have been very happy with them, but I also have not tried the Warrens or Sevigny sights for more than a very few rounds, so I have not really given them a fair shake.

I prefer the standard Warren rear sight to the Sevigny version; and I definitely prefer a black front sight to a fiber optic for playing gun games. While the Warren fiber is really good, I tend to experience vertical stringing when I use fiber optic sights if I'm shooting for groups, whereas the black-on-black sight picture I get with a black front and warren rear lends itself to better accuracy without giving up speed.

I see a huge difference between fibers and black fronts on long distance shots, anything beyond 20 yards I tend to get better hits faster with a black blade instead of a fiber.

I chose a "middle ground" solution; I prefer the Warren Tacticals, but then apply (first) a base coat of white Liquid Paper to the back face of the front sight (to act as a primer coat), and then apply a coat of Testor's Neon Green gloss hobby paint. It really pops out the front sight, and significantly speeds up my sight acquisition and alignment. The end result is something midway between a black sight and a fiber optic sight; dimmer than a fiber optic, but much brighter than a plain black sight, with none of the durability issues inherent to fiber optics (and additionally with crisp, discernable edges).

Best, Jon

User Tag List