Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restraints

Larry Lindenman posted a couple of really good articles a while back about the dos and dont's of holding someone. Google his blog: Point Driven Training and search for In Extremis Communication 1/2

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have absolutely no intention of attempting to hold a home invader until the cops arrive. If they choose to leave upon being confronted, I'm good with that.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Save your bedroom handcuffs for other uses.

Years ago, there was a Chuck Taylor written volume on "Combative Handguns", that included a brief discussion on "restraint" techniques. If you encountered an intruder who complied with commands and you felt you could hold them until law enforcement arrived.

1) Hands on top of the head, fingers interlaced.
    2) On knees
    3) Cross Ankles
    4) Sit on the ankles
    5) Hold at gun point until backup arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Save your bedroom handcuffs for other uses.

Years ago, there was a Chuck Taylor written volume on "Combative Handguns", that included a brief discussion on "restraint" techniques. If you encountered an intruder who complied with commands and you felt you could hold them until law enforcement arrived.

1) Hands on top of the head, fingers interlaced.
    2) On knees
    3) Cross Ankles
    4) Sit on the ankles
    5) Hold at gun point until backup arrives.
    I like the "pull your shirt up over your head like a hockey fight" addition as well.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I carry cuffs in an ankle holster while off duty and in my jurisdiction. When traveling outside of my jurisdiction, I do not carry them.

I would just point out that in most scenarios were the person is leaving, the problem is now over. I'd need a pretty compelling reason to close the distance and attempt to detain, particularly if I wasn't trained on how to do so.
    Also a good point. I can't imagine one barring getting the drop on someone in my home who voluntarily surrenders to a drawn firearm. I think the odds of those 2 things coinciding is probably not super duper high.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-19-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Have to agree with all the opinions attempting to restrain a bad guy by yourself (or at all, frankly) as a private citizen is bad juju. I wouldn't do it off duty, and I do carry cuffs (my firearm is a Tool of Arrest).

This does bring to mind a good story about handcuffing. Years ago, a buddy of mine who was with State Department Diplomatic Security was in New York for some big UN gathering or other. Tons of Feds from many agencies were detailed to this because of security concerns, as well as some state level LE's. Buddy was having lunch with a couple of DS guys, some ATF guys, and a couple of Texas Rangers who were assigned to a Federal Task Force. They were discussing arrest and control methods, when my buddy asked one of the crusty old Rangers what type of handcuffing methods they used. The Ranger took out a pair of handcuffs and tossed them across the table towards my friend and said "Put those on, boy, before I have to shoot your ass."

I am an LEO, and work patrol, so handcuffing is part of my job. I am not going to try to apply handcuffs or other restraints on a burglar in my home. If he wants to lay there, meek and mild, OK; I will observe him from a safe distance.

The norm, in police work, is to have a second officer present when handcuffing a violent or other high-risk suspect, and a burglar is a high-risk suspect. (Yes, I know, some LEOs work in environments where a second officer is a rare luxury.) The officer who applies the handcuffs/restraints is the contact officer, while the officer who remains at a safe distance, ready to apply an appropriate response to resistance, is the cover officer.

In prisons, the convicts train to suddenly attack officers who move in to handcuff them. Unless one has trained to counter these sudden attacks, I strongly recommend against trying to make physical contact with a burglar. If one has trained to counter these sudden attacks, I strongly recommend against trying to make physical contact with a burglar.

Even if one has completed an ECQC, or two or three, I recommend against making physical contact with a burglar.

For the purposes of this reply, "burglar" applies to anyone inside the home without the consent of the owner/resident.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Not a good idea to try and restrain someone by yourself. I’ve put cuffs on lots of people before I retired and still wouldn’t want to do it without someone covering me. When you put hands on is usually when the fight starts. If you are not a cop, and they are no longer a threat, let them go. If you haven’t trained or practiced cuffing/restraining someone, on the job training is not recommended.
    +1. Whenever possible cuff with cover. Don't cuff unless you've had some decent training/practice in doing it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    +1. Whenever possible cuff with cover. Don't cuff unless you've had some decent training/practice in doing it.
    I would go so far as to say recent training/practice and actual experience.

Site Supporter
    And don't overlook that improper restraints with one or more persons on top of the person being restrained can cause death by asphyxiation.

User Tag List