Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Smith 43C and 351C

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My misfires were with the older J frames series guns. Since I used them for plinking, I was not perturbed by them. I have no personal experience with the current J frame .22's but have thee newer .38 spls, but these do not apply to your question. I did not know that the .22 mag operated at .22 rimfire pressures. I do know that many years ago S&W discontinued the magnum J frames because the .22 mag round caused flame cutting on the top strap. Later, some of their .22 mag revolvers had a metal shield to prevent gas cutting. I have had personal experience with five J frame .22 rimfires but admit to being out of date in the sense that I have not owned a current model. After I wrote the post above, I looked back to determine a reference for my opinion and found an American Rifleman article on the subject of the J frame snubs and the .22 Magnum. I have fired at least 75,000 rounds of .22 l.r. ammo through revolvers: High Standard, S&W, H&R, and Ruger. I became accustomed to occasional misfires. I accepted them as the nature of the beast. I noticed variations from lot to lot. Yes. I received my ammo in lots. I suggest that the person depending on a rimfire for self defense identify at least one lot that shows reliability in his weapon and retain it.
    CCI Stingers and CCI MaxiMags are a good starting point for .22 LR and .22 Mag respectively.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    That's good information.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Got a Sales Quotation in the mail from S&W... $103. “sent from warranty dept due to custom springs”
    $45 for estimate and range test, $45 for 1/2 hour of PC labor, $13 for return shipping.

Guess I should’ve changed those back before shipping it.

I do wonder what springs it will return with.
    Finally got the only person you can pay on the phone. She said I can expect it back in 4-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Finally got the only person you can pay on the phone. She said I can expect it back in 4-6 weeks.
    I hope it works.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Sorry to bring back a old thread but I don't see need for a new thread.

Anyone have problems with hard ejection from their 43c? I mean like hitting it hard enough I'm worried about bending the ejector rod.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post

Anyone have problems with hard ejection from their 43c? I mean like hitting it hard enough I'm worried about bending the ejector rod.
    Have you tried a variety of ammo? For instance, our K-22 target masterpiece has bad ejection like that with Aguila (don't remember which variety but the cases swell real tight in the k-22's chambers) but no problems with anything else we've shot through it. FWIW our go to in .22 is mini-mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Have you tried a variety of ammo? For instance, our K-22 target masterpiece has bad ejection like that with Aguila (don't remember which variety but the cases swell real tight in the k-22's chambers) but no problems with anything else we've shot through it. FWIW our go to in .22 is mini-mags.
    The only thing I had with me last night was Super X. I bought some CCI Stingers and Mini-mags to try today.

Both my 317 and 43c were finicky. Took a-lot of trial and error to find some that eject well. I have noticed a-lot of variation as to grouping, smokiness, ejection. Had a Taurus 94 that was much easier. I liked the Taurus as it held 9 rounds. I traded it out cause it was heavy as it was all stainless. Really wish Smith and Ruger would take heed. Ruger doesnt need to be 16 oz and hold only 6 and 8 rounds. The Smith should be 9 and 8 rounds for LR and WMR respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post

Yeah. There’s just a bunch of surface area inside those 8 chambers, and they dirty up quickly. Pretty common to need to chop away at the ejector rod to get all the empties out, IME.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Bumping an old thread:
    Is the 43c getting scarce? Should I have bought the one I saw today? I don't need one but I've bought plenty of stuff in the past I didn't "need."
    --Jason--

User Tag List