Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith 43C and 351C

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Actually, most sins are considerably more attractive than an LCR.
    Bumping this thread, only because I saw this one-liner while researching P-F consensus on the 43c. To good a post to let history devour...

I’ve shot the LCR22, 351c, & 43c... and keep coming back to the 43c. LCR is on its way to a new home with a forum member.

43c is a sneaky gun too. Somehow finds its way into the range bag for every trip.

I carry a 43c every day. I can make 15 yard headshots with CCI Stingers. I’ve left it stock as it really doesn’t need any futzing with to make it more shootable.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My observation is that the variation between any two samples of similar units out of the box is not likely to be indicative of the variation in design, or what may be accomplished by a simple cleanup and defrictioning of the actions. Until the side plate is off and the guts on a competent person’s bench, you’re training without a timer.

Of course S&W will tell you it is what it is. But I’ve yet to see a recent production S&W that was ready to go into service as it left the factory.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-31-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I recently stumbled on a second hand 43c. These little guns are sensitive to ammo. Between my 317 and 43c, one will fire two or three rounds of minimags and bind, the other has no problem. Each will shoot the same load to different points of aim. Once you find ammo it likes stick with it. I shoot my 43 way more than I do my 351c.

I hope claude will chime in with his thoughts and experiences with these rimfires.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I recently stumbled on a second hand 43c. These little guns are sensitive to ammo. Between my 317 and 43c, one will fire two or three rounds of minimags and bind, the other has no problem. Each will shoot the same load to different points of aim. Once you find ammo it likes stick with it. I shoot my 43 way more than I do my 351c.

I hope claude will chime in with his thoughts and experiences with these rimfires.

Dave
    That’s interesting. My 43c is not ammo sensitive at all in terms of reliability.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That’s interesting. My 43c is not ammo sensitive at all in terms of reliability.
    So, my 43c runs Stingers with 100% reliability with a 15lb rebound spring and 9lb mainspring. The only thing that it seems to have trouble with is Velocitors, and that was with factory stock springs before I installed lightened springs. I have talked with knowledgeable folks who speculate that the higher pressure from the Velocitors and also from .22mag ammo necessitate thicker brass that makes these rounds more likely to misfire without heavy mainsprings.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Holy necropost, Sideshooter. I hope GJM has figured it out by now.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    So, my 43c runs Stingers with 100% reliability with a 15lb rebound spring and 9lb mainspring. The only thing that it seems to have trouble with is Velocitors, and that was with factory stock springs before I installed lightened springs. I have talked with knowledgeable folks who speculate that the higher pressure from the Velocitors and also from .22mag ammo necessitate thicker brass that makes these rounds more likely to misfire without heavy mainsprings.
    I've not tried Velocitors yet.

I'd question the info that the knowledgeable folks you talked to are operating off of. .22 Mag and .22 LR are both rated at the same max pressure according to SAAMI.
    Julius Caesar

Just sent my 43c back to the mothership. About 5-7k through it. Was spitting lead at the forcing cone regardless of ammo choice, and experiencing hard ejection with Winchester bulkpack. Will see what they say about resolving the issues.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.

User Tag List