Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Smith 43C and 351C

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Bumping an old thread:
    Is the 43c getting scarce? Should I have bought the one I saw today? I don't need one but I've bought plenty of stuff in the past I didn't "need."
    I thought they were always scarce. I've been watching for one in multiple LGS and I have not seen one is years.

Now in forever work from home mode, I've absconded our 351C and it's my constant pocket companion around the property albeit a service pistol is never far away.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Buy one (both) when you find one.

I have both the 43c (presently out on covid/civil unrest loan) & 351c that was a recent acquisition.

Unlike a number of other j frames over a lot of years, these seem far more likely to be long term keepers.

Been over a year since my last post on the 351c.

Quite a few more rounds through it without issue, but the trigger still sucked. Remedied that.

Brought it to Mike LaRocca at LaRoccagunworks in Worcester MA for a trigger job. Kept all the stock springs in place and just smoooooothed out all the innards. With the XS night sight, it’s now my future “old man pocket gun”

If you’re in New England and driving distance from Mike, don’t hesitate to take your S&W wheelguns to Mike NOW! He literally learned at the feet of the master at Pachmayr. And he says he’s slowing down now with plans to be fully retired in a year.

PS. If you also have a 43c in need of a new home, Mike is looking for one.

ETA : My 43c still works slicker than snot and on indefinite loan.

Site Supporter
    I forgot I posted in this thread. I finally got a 43c, used one, so I saved a few bucks. I accidentally won some grips on Ebay and installed them. While I like the color they are slick! They are G-10 so I need to rough them up or checker them.
    --Jason--

This thread makes me want to give the 351PD some more time; love the weight but my LCR .22 is such a great shooter.

Name:  7CF92364-EB35-4BB2-B728-6CF3A5A9BDD1.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  15.5 KB
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Hammertime
    I have something like 2200 rounds through the 43C attempting to shoot it into submission.

It will reliably cycle 8 rounds when fresh and clean which is its role. Trigger sits around 12-13lbs or just out of my trigger pull gauge range.

I still get about 1/75 failure to ignite Minimags which invariably light off the second hit. It also sticks in the cylinder with Minimags. Clean, not clean, doesn't seem to matter. I have polished the cylinders to no avail.

Still spits some lead above and in front of forcing cone but it hasn't worsened.

It can be quite accurate if I am up to the task but single handed shooting, especially as the speeds increase can be a disaster. Good for training.

All in all, I like it don't love it and feel for the money it should be...Nicer? Better finished? Not ammo sensitive? Still I can't complain about durability because I have dry fired it a lot plus shot it and it has yet to break.

If I can ever get a 5k package of SV ammo I think this gun would like that a lot better.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Mine shipped back from the mothership (for the second time) today. I am really hoping that S&W got the little wheelie dialed in for me.
    So what was the end of your story here?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    So what was the end of your story here?
    The never did get it right. Safe queen.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Yeah. There’s just a bunch of surface area inside those 8 chambers, and they dirty up quickly. Pretty common to need to chop away at the ejector rod to get all the empties out, IME.
    I really love our 351C but I don't consider it a handgun I'll be reloading in a fight. That's not happening due to the challenging .22 mag ejection with every ammo tried in it. No; things go prehistoric at that point.

I was recently shooting Ready 1's on the timer at 25 yards. It prints a bit high and then the effect of a snubbie and the eyes wanting to see more sight pushed my shots high but I wasn't disappointed.

Name:  351 on the 25 yard standard.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  42.0 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Been awhile since I’ve added a pic. Here’s the 351c. Right at 12oz with 7 rounds of gold dots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List