Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith 43C and 351C

Smith 43C and 351C

I recently purchased a Smith model 43C in .22LR and .351C in .22 magnum. I was pleased to see that neither revolver had a lock.

The 43C's trigger is decent, where the 351C's is HEAVY! Apex says their J frame kit is not designed for the .22LR/.22 magnum J frames, and trigger jobs on .22 J frames can be hit and miss in terms of reliability. Any idea why the .22 magnum trigger is so heavy -- does the .22 magnum cartridge require more to reliably ignite it?

I read where #4 ribbed plastic anchors are the hot ticket for dry firing the .22's, got some for a couple of bucks, and am happily dry firing. The anchors are even a nice yellow color that makes them stand out.

These .22 J frames look like an ideal pocket kit pistol for an outdoorsy person.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I recently purchased a Smith model 43C in .22LR and .351C in .22 magnum. I was pleased to see that neither revolver had a lock.

The 43C's trigger is decent, where the 351C's is HEAVY! Apex says their J frame kit is not designed for the .22LR/.22 magnum J frames, and trigger jobs on .22 J frames can be hit and miss in terms of reliability. Any idea why the .22 magnum trigger is so heavy -- does the .22 magnum cartridge require more to reliably ignite it?
    I'd think the .22 WMR primers would be harder, but Gunsmith Bob (sitting here watching Nick Saban's 3-hr. public strangulation of LSU) says he's never noticed that they're any harder to touch off, and given that both calibers have a 24k psi max SAAMI pressure, I guess he's right.

I am just sick jealous over your 43C. Maybe I'll get lucky at this weekend's Indy 1500 gun show...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

My 317 has a good trigger, but my 351C is very heavy. The Wolff website has some interesting info on rimfire revolver springs:

The standard mainspring for centerfire J-Smiths is 8.5 lb, reduced is 8, extra is 9.
    The standard mainspring for rimfire J-Smiths is 12 lb.

Wolff has for sale the following item, which has both reduced power mainspring and rebound springs. I'm going to get one and fool around with these springs to see if I can improve the trigger while maintaining reliability:

Shooters Pak - Reduced Power - Stock Number 17126 - This pak for rimfire models contains 1 each 9 pound reduced power hammer spring and 1 each 13, 14 and 15 pound reduced power rebound springs allowing adjustment for lighter and smoother trigger and hammer action. Note: Rimfire models 317, 650, 651 have a 12 Lb. factory hammer spring.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'd think the .22 WMR primers would be harder, but Gunsmith Bob (sitting here watching Nick Saban's 3-hr. public strangulation of LSU) says he's never noticed that they're any harder to touch off, and given that both calibers have a 24k psi max SAAMI pressure, I guess he's right.

I am just sick jealous over your 43C. Maybe I'll get lucky at this weekend's Indy 1500 gun show...
    LR & WMR have the same max pressure? Huh...

My recently purchased S&W M63-5 has about a ten, maybe 12 pound DA trigger. It concerned me enough to shoot about 150 rounds through it the next day. No issues at all.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    LR & WMR have the same max pressure? Huh...
    Who knew, right?

I guess WMR just uses more (and slower-burning) powder.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

When my 437 went TU and couldn't be fixed by S&W they offered me any J frame I wanted to replace it. I seriously should have gotten the 43C

.22 revolvers have heavy mainsprings to ensure reliable primer ignition

The .22 mag model 351 trigger is half again as heavy as the model 43C .22LR, and near unusable. Right now, the .22 mag model 351 is a very expensive hand strengthening device, and Smith says it is what it is. Delighted with the 43C and unhappy with the 351.

Try trading the main springs and see if the 351 still lights the rounds off.

I'm betting it will.

User Tag List