Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 vs Gen 5 Beta tester

Gen 4 vs Gen 5 Beta tester

Wondering what the current group think is on continuing the use of Gen 4 Glocks vs switching over to the Gen 5 after their release. The Gen 4 has been around a few years and are thoroughly vetted, but if the Gen 5 get rid of the finger grooves and aren't ejecting brass straight back- it may make for a quick conversion to the Gen 5.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I guess it depends what you currently own, and if you want to put the time. It also depends how much difference there is between the Gen 5 and the "M", which is currently being "beta tested".

Personally I'm probably going to stick with Gen4 Glocks because you never know and the Gen4s seem to be really really solid right now.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I'm going to go through a testing process.

I have a gen3 and gen4 19, the moment my gen5 19 comes in I'll do a break down of parts comparison and then hit the range to see how it shoots and performs.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm getting a 17 and 19 Gen 5. I'm willing to be a beta tester. For the greater good. Ive got about......20,000 rounds allocated to test the pistols, and any Gadget. [emoji16]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-19-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I'm getting a 17 and 19 Gen 5. I'm willing to be a beta tester. For the greater good. Ive got about......20,000 rounds allocated to test the pistols, and any Gadget. [emoji16]

A gadget? For a new gun? Hahahahhaha
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    A gadget? For a new gun? Hahahahhaha
    Either way I'll be putting these pistols thru their paces.......

I will be interested in a 5th gen G19. The grooves on the 19 size guns kill my XL hands, while the G17 and G26 fit fine. My 2nd gen 19 is my favorite in that size. I have a 4th gen 19 that I'm whittling the grooves off as a backup.

Not sure I won't wait a year to be sure they are working well.

I'm still carrying Gen 3s and just warming up to Gen 4s.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I currently own nine Glocks in Gens 2,3 and 4 and calibers 9mm and .45 Auto, having gotten rid of some .40s long ago.

None of the (two) Gen 2 and (seven) Gen 3 guns have EVER given ANY kind of problem.

The single Gen 4 I have (a G26) has the best grip characteristics of all (mostly due to the RTF), but the worst trigger quality, and this in spite of installing the Gen 3 trigger bar including the smooth trigger, trying several varieties of "-" connectors (from Glock, Lone Wolf, Edge), and polishing all metal-to-metal contact surfaces in the firing mechanism (as usual).

I don't care for the Gen 4 ambidextrous magazine release capability; I don't need it even though I'm a southpaw, and accommodating its design has reportedly been at least part of the cause of the altered Gen 4 trigger characteristics.

Finger grooves are moot, AFAIC. They add nothing, but aren't a problem for me in any of the 9mm, .45 Auto or .40 S&W Glocks I've owned.
    (I've had none of the BTF, FTF or FTE problems of which others have complained, and can't speak to any of that.)

So... I don't consider the Gen 4 guns to be "thoroughly vetted", in the sense of being up to par with earlier generations wrt trigger quality.

If the Gen 5 guns make the stock trigger action consistently equal to or better than the earlier generations, AND retain the improved grip features, they'll represent an overall-worthwhile evolution of the design, instead of a mixture of better-and-worse features, like the Gen 4, IMNSHO.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List