Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: CCW Shirts

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Rich,

I have found that the Kuhl button down shirts are my favorites for CCW and all around wear. My size is somewhere between a L and XL, but with most shirts I lean toward the XL for carry. My Kuhl XL's are not as sloppy looking as other XL shirts, and fit nicely while concealing a handgun. I am sold! I buy most of mine from Zappo's because I hate malls, and wish they were a tad cheaper.

http://www.kuhl.com
    I have one Kuhl shirt, and regard it as my best casual button shirt.

It is super light and comfortable in hot weather, but has a stiffness or body to it, unlike the Columbia stuff that hangs kinda limply.

It will look right with nylon shorts, jeans, or slacks, depending on the circumstance.

I should buy more.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Kuhl Stallion is my go-to.

It is synthetic with a seer-sucker like texture/weave. This gives it really good elasticity while also being very cool.

Other synthetic shirts can be a bit uncomfortable in hot weather compared against the Kuhl Stallion. They also don't usually have stretch, which along with a tail (even a casual tail just for looks) can get hung up easily on the draw stroke unless they're ridiculously oversized.

They're awesome, and I'm a bit enthusiastic about them. They're also made brighter colors than the typical CCW shirt, so they're not as much a tell in my opinion. They're also fantastic for travel, as you can neatly fold them and they never really wrinkle given the unique weave.

ETA: About the only thing that would make it better is if it had snap buttons, which are handy on a CCW shirt incase your draw doesn't go perfect (the shirt will unsnap instead of trapping your draw).
    Last edited by TGS; 08-19-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I'll go shopping soon and see what's available in my local area.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Kuhl Stallion is my go-to.

It is synthetic with a seer-sucker like texture/weave. This gives it really good elasticity while also being very cool.

Other synthetic shirts can be a bit uncomfortable in hot weather compared against the Kuhl Stallion. They also don't usually have stretch, which along with a tail (even a casual tail just for looks) can get hung up easily on the draw stroke unless they're ridiculously oversized.

They're awesome, and I'm a bit enthusiastic about them. They're also made brighter colors than the typical CCW shirt, so they're not as much a tell in my opinion. They're also fantastic for travel, as you can neatly fold them and they never really wrinkle given the unique weave.

ETA: About the only thing that would make it better is if it had snap buttons, which are handy on a CCW shirt incase your draw doesn't go perfect (the shirt will unsnap instead of trapping your draw).
    You can buy a snap button kit on Amazon for a few bucks. I usually replace the bottom button then super glue the button back so it looks normal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'll second the recommendation for the 5.11 Covert Classic. They are on clearance at TacticalGear.com right now and can be had for less than $20 each. I bought three that were too large for me, passed them along to my dad, and then bought three more that are the right size. I've only had them a couple of months, but they've become my favorite shirts. My dad really likes them too.

If you have a Shopko nearby, I have found they have some square tail cotton shirts under the North Crest brand that are available in different colors with a bit of a plaid pattern, and the fabric has some stiffness and texture to it that helps conceal any printing, and hides wrinkles well when packed for travel. They are not very expensive, and not a "tactical" brand.

Kohls clearance racks are great places to find shirts in my experience.

I'm also a big thrift store / secondhand clothing store fan. I have acquired a very nice collection of colorful Ralph Lauren shirts and a few really pricey polos this way. It's also a very frugal way to try out a few styles or cuts or weights to see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Kohls clearance racks are great places to find shirts in my experience.

I'm also a big thrift store / secondhand clothing store fan. I have acquired a very nice collection of colorful Ralph Lauren shirts and a few really pricey polos this way. It's also a very frugal way to try out a few styles or cuts or weights to see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TJ Maxx and Marshalls are good bets too.

http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/...jedburgh-shirt
    I got an email from TD regarding this new CCW shirt. Looks like a solid option but they need to add some plaid pattern options.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/...jedburgh-shirt
    I got an email from TD regarding this new CCW shirt. Looks like a solid option but they need to add some plaid pattern options.
    I know a couple guys who bought that shirt and neither were at fan of the bottom pockets.

"That loudness at the bottom is an issue. Whatever material they used to line the passport pockets at the bottom will snap, crackle, and pop and make all sorts of noise with whatever you may carrying IWB. If you have kids with those snap bracelets, that is basically what the bottom 10 inches of the shirt is made of."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 08-22-2017 at 01:42 PM.

User Tag List