Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: CCW Shirts

Site Supporter
    Rich,

I have found that the Kuhl button down shirts are my favorites for CCW and all around wear. My size is somewhere between a L and XL, but with most shirts I lean toward the XL for carry. My Kuhl XL's are not as sloppy looking as other XL shirts, and fit nicely while concealing a handgun. I am sold! I buy most of mine from Zappo's because I hate malls, and wish they were a tad cheaper.

http://www.kuhl.com

I typically wear golf shirts all year round (Southeast Georgia is hot and humid, and generally mild in winter). A "regular" cotton polo feels like a sweater. So long as the shirt is long enough (I have a long torso) I don't have a problem concealing or drawing a compact from 3:30 or 4:00. That said, I'm an odd shape (I have more muscle and padding on my lower half) which helps tilt the gun better for concealment.

The best shirts I have are made by Oobe but I don't know how to purchase them--my MIL gave them to me for Christmas and I think they can only be purchased through a special program.

I partial to vented Colombia fishing shirts, Brooks Brothers no iron dress shirts, and Bass Pro has a pretty good inexpensive lineup of casual shirts. I also like a colored t-shirt worn under an unbuttoned shirt. I carry IWB at 3:30 - 4:40. Something that gets overlooked sometimes is that the length of the pistol grip can be a big factor in a clean draw from a buttoned shirt worn outside the pants. How large the shirt fits is another issue. The tighter the shirt, the greater the need for a shorter grip, IME. Technique and practice are obviously good and make a difference, but I'm talking about consistency.

You eliminate this by wearing a colored t-shirt under a nice pressed over shirt. This combo is exactly like wearing an open jacket. Its just another option in the wardrobe when its appropriate.

Fanny pack, fanny pack, fanny pack.....come on Rich you know you want to [emoji41]

Seriously, the Columbia PFG shirts are what I wear a lot of in warm weather. I have also had some good luck with Eddie Bauer cotton button up short sleeve shirts. Picked those up on sale for around $25 a shirt and they also have a squared hem to be worn untucked.

You could always come to the dark side and try out AWIB. The Sith ain't all that bad and some storm troopers can shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Multiple examples from thewilderness.com (pricey but excellent quality) and Columbia have worked well for me.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Kohls is your friend here. I wait for sales and go with my wife so I can use her "Kohls bucks" whatever. Seems like they pay me to take the shirts after checking out. I use short sleeves, button up, square bottom shirts. In the "Hawaiian shirt section" - they usually also have some with patterns that work well. I also use the Columbia and I have some Nike "camp shirts" that work well also.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Multiple examples from thewilderness.com (pricey but excellent quality) ...
    Not any more.

http://www.thewilderness.com/sonoran-shirts/

"We are sorry to say we have lost our shirt-maker to medical retirement. Due to the quality and complexity of the Sonoran Shirts, our search for a suitable replacement has been unsuccessful. One prospective maker said that he's never seen that quality and thoroughness, even in Italy.

So there it is. While we still have all of our equipment and fabric to resume manufacture, unless a high-quality shirtmaker comes forth the Sonoran Shirts will be on hold for the foreseeable future.

We have appreciated the praise and patronage of our loyal shirt customers and collectors, and we hope to bring back these signature shirts if at all possible in the future."

-- Ralph Holzhaus, Wilderness founder

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    ........ I also like a colored t-shirt worn under an unbuttoned shirt. I carry IWB at 3:30 - 4:40. Something that gets overlooked sometimes is that the length of the pistol grip can be a big factor in a clean draw from a buttoned shirt worn outside the pants. How large the shirt fits is another issue. The tighter the shirt, the greater the need for a shorter grip, IME. Technique and practice are obviously good and make a difference, but I'm talking about consistency.

You eliminate this by wearing a colored t-shirt under a nice pressed over shirt. This combo is exactly like wearing an open jacket. Its just another option in the wardrobe when its appropriate.
    Here is where I'm at on my own time (you've seen me!). In addition to the above, one reason I went this way was that I always have at least a Skillcraft aviator pen in my shirt pocket, and pockets on t-shirts and polos are garbage.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I use Woolrich Elite shirts exclusively for cover shirts. They're built for concealed carry, light weight, moisture wicking, and reasonably well vented.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a source for them in several years, so I think Woolrich is out of the game.

Any of the other options listed above should do the trick. As always, darker colors and patterns are your friends.

I like the G.H. Bass explorer shirts over the columbia pfg, since there are no stupid shape/extra pockets. I think they are better made as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Tag List