Thread: New Tourniquet seen at SHOT --Rapid Stop

New Tourniquet seen at SHOT --Rapid Stop

I was in the Pop Up area of SHOT and I saw the Rapid Stop Tourniquet. It seems to be very similar to to the RMT as it is using a ratchet system. It is not currently TCCC approved, but the salesman at the booth stated it was going through the process.

Here is a video they produced:

I think the price point is $44ish but I could be mis-remembering.

I like the concept and the ease, but I won't be buying one until it is TCCC approved and I would like the price point to go down.

It may end up being a great tourniquet, but a few things off the top of my head:

The staging and technique for the CAT were terrible. If this was a test of "how they came out of the packaging" that's one thing, but we aren't restricted to that for real life use.

The SOFT is an older (non wide) version. New versions have buckles that are faster and easier to use.

Both windlass options were spun a couple time and then checked against the pulse oximeter. The use of pulse ox to judge TQ effectiveness could be argued, but they were at least consistent here. In real use, you spin until you no longer see blood spurting or until you can't spin any more. You wouldn't spin, stop & look, spin some more, etc.

Not the cleanest representation of overall speed, but I'm curious enough to see what TCCC has to say.
    Last edited by Tom Fineis; 01-25-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Interesting. I have always been a CAT user. I recently did a run through of the newer TQs (RMT, TMT, SAM XT, SOFTT Gen4) with my role 2 unit.

The RMT is a bit of a pain for self application - the "hold it with your teeth" requirement is kinda iffy for self rescue under stress. This TQ might solve that. The RMT is also is a bit bulky (especially the 3 inch version), and the releasing the ratchet can be a pain/result in the total loss of circumferential pressure (i.e does not easily allow for small adjustments).

I do like the RMT as a backup tourniquet kept in an aid bag, as the ratchet is a lot easier to use than a windlass, especially with soldiers who have tree trunks for legs.

Most of the 68Ws really like the SAM XT because of the locking/clicking feature.

Interesting to see where this TQ goes. Would wait until CoTCCC approves it before purchasing it.

Agreed that pulse ox is not the standard metric for TQ effectiveness.
    Last edited by Yute; 01-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.

I can don a properly staged CAT in much less time.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

My cub scouts, church ladies, and LCDs put CATs and SOFTTs on much faster than that. Bogus demo.
    Repeat that test with trainers or trained providers and a doppler.
    If you're going to use a uniformed Army dude in your promo video, maybe try one with a haircut and a shave?
    Application is spelled wrong under the "Intuitive" banner on the front page of the site.

I'll get one and try to break it.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List