Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFA process streamlined

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would be interesting to see their numbers. I bet suppressor transfers are way up, and short barrel rifles down substantially with the proliferation of AR pistols.
    Agreed on seeing REAL #'s George but wouldn't can #'s also be down due to all the 'tards/newcomers *thinking* it better to wait on the HPA passing?

Awesome. I need to pick up a 9mm can.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.

It's hard for me to know from day to day where I am on the continuum from cynicism to paranoia....but maybe this is an endrun by the BATF to try to head-off Congress passing laws such as HPA and others that would actually take them off the restricted list. This way, they still have control, power, jobs......

I know, I know.....
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    It's hard for me to know from day to day where I am on the continuum from cynicism to paranoia....but maybe this is an endrun by the BATF to try to head-off Congress passing laws such as HPA and others that would actually take them off the restricted list. This way, they still have control, power, jobs......

I know, I know.....
    It's not. It's no secret that ATF leadership wants HPA to pass so they can refocus agency resources on things that actually help fight crime.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It's not. It's no secret that ATF leadership wants HPA to pass so they can refocus agency resources on things that actually help fight crime.
    Can you expand on this?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Can you expand on this?
    ATF Associate Deputy white paper was leaked earlier this year that outlines several changes that ATF could make to decrease the burdens placed on gun owners and the firearms industry while maintaining public safety.

As to the barcode thing.

What is it and what does it do?

This is a PDF_417 format barcode that stores transferee information found on the form 4, specifically:

Page 1, item 2A
    Responsible person questionnaire page 1
    CLEO information

I’m not sure how much time this will save, but I filed two forms yesterday using the barcode so I guess we will see!

Further info can be found on Capitol Armory's blog.

COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Does the new ATF bar code system advance or speed up my wait time?

Forms with bar codes will not be given priority over those forms without bar codes. Bar codes only speed up the initial data entry process; they do not aide the legal examiner. The bar codes remove some of the data entry required when the Form 4 first reaches the ATF, but they do not affect the time spent by the legal examiners who review and approve your Form 4.

Should I wait until the new bar code system is implemented to submit my Form 4?

Forms with bar codes do not get a "jump" in line - they simply eliminate some data entry by the ATF. All forms are entered into the ATF's database in the order in which they are received and there is not preferential treatment for those forms with a bar code. Capitol Armory's form generating system will include bar codes starting September 1, 2017.

Will wait times significantly drop because of the new bar code system?

Probably not. This new system only affects the data entry team and they do not approve forms. In the long term, this will reduce ATF costs and some inefficiencies, but it will not affect your wait time for a legal examiner to approve your Form 4.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Joshs: I hope you're right....I'm just not very hopeful about the intentions and desires of any bureaucracy to give up power once obtained. The BATF is no exception.

No one appears to be in any hurry to make sensible changes in the rules regarding silencers.

Put me down for hopeful, but not optimistic.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Joshs: I hope you're right....I'm just not very hopeful about the intentions and desires of any bureaucracy to give up power once obtained. The BATF is no exception.

No one appears to be in any hurry to make sensible changes in the rules regarding silencers.

Put me down for hopeful, but not optimistic.
    Since you didn't put caps. on your *hopeful* above, I'm right there with ya Carroll/West Carroll parish man.

Guess I can go ahead and dig out the hacksaw to finish what I started on the snake blaster.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List